WJ or KJ ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > WJ or KJ ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

View Poll Results: Which Jeep should I choose?
Start over with 04 WJ 2 100.00%
Keep the 05 KJ 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

WJ or KJ ?

I'm looking at switching to a different model jeep. I didn't want to post into either of the KJ or WJ forums... because there might be a little bias there...

Anyway, I own an 05 KJ and recently I was trying to get up some opposite flex ramps and the lack of articulation brought on by the front sway bar kept me from getting up something simple even with LSD's in both axles. I think not being able to disconnect my sway bars really puts me at a disadvantage. I've put a fair amount into this car just to be bested by a friend in an 04 WJ with the same height lift and 32's.

Here's where it gets interesting, my dad has an identical WJ (even the same color and special edition) but stock. Should I trade my dad for his car and start fresh with a SFA? Mileage is a big concern but the overdrive gears should help because I do almost all highway driving during the week.

Comparison
05 KJ
3.7 gas 17-23 mpg
6-speed (I like manual but I don't like the lack of instant power)
4.10 gears and true tracs in the front and rear
3.5" lift with soon to be 32's
CIA, magnaflow
Rock lizard rock rails, full factory skids, tow hooks

04 WJ
4.7 gas ~15-20?
automatic, better for rock crawling?
factory skid plates and tow hooks
how I would want to set it up:
I would leave the gears alone but maybe do some lockers
Same exhaust work and armor
4-5" lift with 32" duratracs for mileage

So the final question is really, which car is better overall, considering I'll be driving about 140-175 miles per week (80% highway) and still want to be able to wheel and not get hung up with IFS.

Anyone have any advice or insight on this? Any comments are appreciated even if you're just agreeing that one car would be better.

some picture of the two cars (the grand would come stock)

comparison.jpg   where-my-jeep-takes-me.jpg  
kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.