What's She Worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > What's She Worth?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
JD_McPhee

What's She Worth?

I need to ask the experts and enthusiasts. If this is the wrong sub-forum, I apologize. As you see, it's my very first post.

We have a 1990 Grand Wagoneer that has been sitting in open storage for at least 10 years. Everything is stock and worked when it was situated, but I'm pretty positive it will need a complete engine rebuild now. My wife has always loved it which is why we've kept it, but now we are leaving Fairbanks for good.

It has the V8, power everything, and handled winter driving conditions like a champ.

I am only asking if it's worth the effort to try and sell such a classic before taking it to an auto salvage yard which would be a travesty. Could it be worth $2000 even if it doesn't run?

Thanks for reading, and I apologize if the post makes no sense or is in the wrong thread.

JD_McPhee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is probably worth more than salvage no matter what condition it is in. Grand Wagoneers are getting hard to find so even a "parts" vehicle is worth a decent amount. How much it is worth depends on where you live and what condition it is in. A pristine running Grand Wagoneer will usually go for $10,000-15,000 where I live (I'm not saying I'd pay that much for one but I have seen them sell for that much), down south where they don't use salt on the roads the same vehicle would probably sell for $5,000-$7,000 . If the only thing wrong with it is the engine, and the body is in good shape $2,000-3,000 is probably doable (note: if you can get it running even if it doesn't run well that significantly increases the value, but do not attempt to start it without changing the fluids first if it has been sitting that long). If it is rusty or in bad shape but has good parts on it (bumpers, doors, trim, interior pieces, axles, etc.) you can probably get $1,000-2,000 for it as a parts vehicle. Scrap value is likely around $500.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
JD_McPhee

Thank you very much for your response. It makes perfect sense. We don't use salt up here (probably because there isn't enough salt in the world for Fairbanks roads for 8 months a year!), but it was in "Very Good" condition until something tore the tarp wrapping off so many moons ago. Now, I'm sure the constant sun in the summers have faded and cracked things. I'll post ads around here because it really would be a perfect "factory resto" I think. I really want this truck to go to someone who will cherish it and may just keep paying the storage fee until "that someone" gets it. Thanks again for your insight!
JD_McPhee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.