whats better cherokee or wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > whats better cherokee or wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
mickeythompson
1979 CJ7 

whats better cherokee or wrangler

im not sure wich to buy a cherokee or wrangler i really like both but dont know wich one to choose plz help me lol

mickeythompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well if you like to drive around with a top/doors off then a wrangler will be better, if you need the extra cargo/doors then a cherokee will be better
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
phokur

Also keep in mind a Cherokee can be bought, tagged, and lifted for the price of a bone-stock Wrangler.

History:
90 XJ, 96 XJ, 89 MJ, 87 YJ, 10 JK
phokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phokur View Post
Also keep in mind a Cherokee can be bought, tagged, and lifted for the price of a bone-stock Wrangler.
depending on what type wrangler, he did not say CJ,YJ,TJ,JK
Unread 02-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
RavenCorax
1988 XJ Cherokee 

cherokee always just as many aftermarket parts. extra room. dont have to use a sye until a few inches higher. i sleep in the back of mine comfortably. with a twin size air matress. they come in 2 door versions. doors come off easily. you can gete power everything in a cherokee. only a few inch longer wheel base. 7 inches ? Xj freaking X not c or y or t X hehe
Unread 02-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It also depends where you live, what kind of trails you will be runnin, and what your overall goal is.

There isnt going to be a lifted cherokee everyother parking spot like there seems to be with wranglers.

The cherokee has a longer wheel base which is a good thing in snow and moderate to extreme rock crawling, but is a bad thing in tight woods trails and canyons out west.

the wrangler has little to no cargo room without raising the COG and has a kinda squirly ride (doesnt track well handles horrible in snow and has a super light a** end) but they can be fun to drive.

If you want topless and doorless and dont mind alittle fabrication work then the cherokee is a good idea for the custom look.

all in all its really up to your wallet becuase wranglers are just straight up more expensive and there arent to many in the JY so you cant get cheap parts.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you think a wrangler is bad in the snow you are way wrong my wrangler will go through more snow than any long wheel base truck could dream of in stock condition. I had a F-350 that would not go through near as much snow and it was a long wheelbase plus it was heavy. I would say a wrangler has more options as far as aftermarket goes as well, and you are limited when you get to 35s-37s because of the weaker unibody over a frame and body like a wrangler. Plus a with frame and body you can also change out many components with out worrying about the it weakening, and then the other benefit is you can put pretty much what ever engine you want to swap in V8 wise in a wrangler. I would say a wrangler is going to be far superior to a Cherokee in most situations. But the question is really apples to oranges different vehicles and different needs/uses.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
clwaite
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think price is a major factor, you can buy a nice 97+ CHerokee with low mileage, for the smae price for a 90ish YJ with twice the mileage..

Trust me..I know..just went through this a few weeks ago...and I bought the wrangler....there's just something about them.
clwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
If you think a wrangler is bad in the snow you are way wrong my wrangler will go through more snow than any long wheel base truck could dream of in stock condition. I had a F-350 that would not go through near as much snow and it was a long wheelbase plus it was heavy. I would say a wrangler has more options as far as aftermarket goes as well, and you are limited when you get to 35s-37s because of the weaker unibody over a frame and body like a wrangler. Plus a with frame and body you can also change out many components with out worrying about the it weakening, and then the other benefit is you can put pretty much what ever engine you want to swap in V8 wise in a wrangler. I would say a wrangler is going to be far superior to a Cherokee in most situations. But the question is really apples to oranges different vehicles and different needs/uses.
All I know is that in the twistys we have here in PA I drove my friends YJ in the snow and I could not keep the dang thing straight even on straight aways in 4x4 it wanted to kick around. My cherokee in the same snowstorm never had a problem and I responded to many fire calls at normal speeds because it could actually take turns.

When going to 35's or bigger the only difference to the wrangler is you need frame stiffiners. You still need to upgrade the axles and do all the great stuff.

As for the engine swap again all you need is frame stiffiners to handle the torque and you can put whatever driveline (within reason) you want in. The old drag cars had frame stiffiners so why cant we? I am dropping a diesel in mine this year and it will fit fine.

Unread 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am also a member of an emergency response team (EMT) I have noticed the wrangler will kick out a little easier because of the short wheel base but once you get used to it is not a problem driving one once is not getting used to it, any vehicle will fish tale, it's just learning how to drive it and how far to push it. I have had to go to numerous calls at speed, but if you drive with in reason it can be just as easy to handle as anything else. I also found it it a lot easier to correct a fish tale in a wrangler compared to other similar size vehicles like a Cherokee, closest I have come to a Cherokee is a grand wagoneer and wangoneer limited, and the a 1st gen explorer. Although a TJ and a YJ are not very similiar suspension wise, and I also have a rear limited slip so that may make a difference. I like the Cherokee's so don't get me wrong but only if it were body on frame, I just don't like unibody's I guess, spent to many years working on non unibody stuff.

The bonus to a Cherokee is they are cheaper so more money to mod, I bought a Rubicon for the reason I didn't want to have to replace axles to run 35s locked, and the 4.1 low t-case. But if you like to work on vehicles everything will be a work in progress.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"

Last edited by RogueSpear2023; 02-24-2009 at 09:43 PM..
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
pyrotyro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This question is a tough one, in the summer, I always want to get a wrangler to take the top off! however, everytime i go out on a trail, i am so glad i have my cherokee. the wheelbase is PERFECT! interior space is very nice too, and i dont have to worry about people trying to steal my stuff.

however, I would ask myself, what are my main goals (lift, tires, trails, etc), whats my budget, daily driver, family rig, etc
pyrotyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rogue I agree with what you said there. All in all it comes down to the buyers preference in cargo space body style and frame style.

Unread 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
mickeythompson
1979 CJ7 

thx i think iv made my desicion im only 18 so dont have a family it would be a daily driver and defently offroad we dont really have any big trails that i know off besides THE BAD LANDS so i live in indiana and i would be doing more of mudding than anything so im goin to go with the wrangler thx every one
mickeythompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
critterjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeythompson View Post
thx i think iv made my desicion im only 18 so dont have a family it would be a daily driver and defently offroad we dont really have any big trails that i know off besides THE BAD LANDS so i live in indiana and i would be doing more of mudding than anything so im goin to go with the wrangler thx every one
hey i'm in indiana too. the badlands rocks! i didn't see if you mentioned this, but have you driven both kinds of jeeps? you really should drive one of each first. i would go wrangler, but it's all personal preference.
2003 Rubicon (shale green/khaki), 33x12.5x15 BFG Mud KM2s on Pro Comp 8179s (Firestone Winterforce on stock Moabs for winter), Bilstein 5100s, 3" AEV (nth) Progessive coils, OME steering stabilizer, 1" M.O.R.E. body lift, JKS adj. track bar in the front, 1" JKS budget motor mount lift, RC quick discos, OR-Fab rear rock crawler bumper with 2" receiver, Rokmen 3/16" steering box skid plate, Rokmen rear frame tie-ins, Teraflex 3/16" heavy-duty oil pan skid plate, Alpine CDE-124SXM CD/sat radio MP3 player, Bestop sliding windows, Bestop Safari Bikini top (green military camo), Mopar "windjammer" rear window, Mopar "duster" tonneau cover with tailgate bar, Rockhard Full roll cage with full padding, KC slimlites long range/off road lights on KC windshield mounts, Tuffy security glove box, Pilot LED tail lights.
critterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
XJAllTheWay316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Putting a V8 in a jeep is just dumb especially a wrangler the body is so light you just spin out there's no torque so unless you're drag racing with your jeep keep the straight 6 it's a legendary engine with a lot of low end torque it offers the best off road and snow condition... Not to mention the straight 6 lasts forever and is a simple, cheap, and easy to fix engine parts are very cheap and easy to replace
XJAllTheWay316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.