What's The Best Wrangler For Under $5,000? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > What's The Best Wrangler For Under $5,000?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

What's The Best Wrangler For Under $5,000?

I'm trying to find a good used vehicle for about $5,000. I was thinking I should be able to find a quality used Jeep Wrangler with under 100k miles at this price. The question is, what is the best years/options to ensure I find a reliable Jeep?

I'm thinking a 4cyl, automatic. Good gas milage compared to the 4.0, correct? Is the 4cyl as reliable as the 4.0, 6cyl? Are there any specific years I should focus on, or avoid?

I'm a Jeep guy through and through, but I have to ask... if you had $5k and wanted a reliable vehilcle; would you buy a used Jeep or a used Honda civic/crv?

SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look for a 1991+ Wrangler with the 4.0L. And its a Wrangler....Its not going to get good gas mileage. People on this forum can brag about 20mpg The 4 cyl will give you only 1 or 2 miles per gallon more over the 6 cyl but your really giving up power if you go that route. Both engines are pretty reliable, you can run them 200k+ miles and still not have problems. IMO Finding a sub 100k mileage really isn't necessary if your looking for reliability. If you don't mind extra mileage you MIGHT be able to get a 4.0L TJ for 5k(Seen one on CL a few weeks back) but it doesn't come by often. Your going to have to wait for a YJ person to chime in with the quarks over the years but I suspect it will be minimal.

P.S. If you want a Civic, that would be a great DD once you put some 37'' Super Swampers on your YJ
The Wrangler would be a more fun to drive vehicle especially this time of year. Insurance is cheap(atleast for me) so that offsets the gas mileage.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

This will never see dirt. It's for my sister and she'll just be using it to drive around LA. She's thinking a wrangler so she can take the top off and since everyone else in our family has a Jeep.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

In this case I would say walk away from getting a Wrangler. Here are my reasons.

-Is your sister ready for the utilitarian YJ?
-The Wrangler's gas mileage doesn't fare too good on a highway let alone only city driving
-If its never going to see dirt....Why get a Jeep

If she wants to take her top off(ON THE JEEP) why not get a convertible car? With a soft top on the Wrangler, someone can always just unzip your windows and get whatever they are after.
Unread 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck on your decision
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is really no mileage difference between a 4cyl and the 6cyl, both get terrible mileage when compared to a car. Both are reliable though, don't necessarily need to get one under 100K though, I would take the 6cyl with over 100k before I would by a 4cyl with under 50K. But now the question is she ready for a jeep they are very utilitarian IMO if you aren't going to use the great off road features you are better off with a convertible car. Jeeps are a lot to put up with if you aren't going to use them for what they were designed for.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
DocWills
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thegirlmight foolus and be a jeepnut too.
DocWills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
93ZJ_5.2_ca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

get her a ZJ grand cherokee with a sun roof
93ZJ_5.2_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Maybe I am the only one looking at the question as a whole....IF it is for your Sister, why ask us....You should be asking Her.
Unread 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
LBcarfan
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJ_5.2_ca View Post
get her a ZJ grand cherokee with a sun roof
agreed! the wrangler would probably end up not being a nice enough ride for her on the freeways, especially since most of them are bad enough on their own (like the stupid 10), PLUS for a daily driver the fact that someone could easily get into the soft top and steal things would scare the crap out of me. If she truly wants a convertable rather than just a sun roof, then start looking at other cars. No matter what she decides to go for, make sure she gets it professionally inspected before purchase so she doesn't get stuck with all sorts of issues.
LBcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

The YJ has a very, very rough ride. The dash and interior lack luxury to say the least. Plus why get a 5000 dollar Jeep? It has probably been ruined by some kid.

The best year of the YJ is the '95 because it has a galvanized tub (coated with a special metal compound) and is very resistant to rust and is the newest YJ. If she really wants a Jeep for the image or whatever she is going for, I'd go with a newer Cherokee, say 1999 and up.

If she will never see any kind of off road action though, I would say go with a convertable or the Honda like you first suggested.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the best jeep under $5000, that will be easy. first six cylinder, second the best looking and newest jeep you can find for $4999. all the other stuff doesnt matter. you dont want big lift, big tires. you want a plain jeep with six clyinder, cj, yz tj doesnt matter. all that matter is price and six cylinder
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.