what to look for when buying a Jeep Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > what to look for when buying a Jeep Wrangler?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Reply
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
peejjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8
what to look for when buying a Jeep Wrangler?

I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Celica. It's getting old. I think I need something higher sitting. I can't afford anything new model (2013/2014). Is it best to look for a 5 year old Jeep? A 2008/2009 Jeep? I think the Wrangler is a good choice since I like its military type of look. Are these 4 cylinders? Good on gas? Good on harsh climates (in case I move to North Dakota)? Stick or automatic? I'd prefer a hard top since those plastic looking cover look like it's easy to slice up through it and steal everything in your car (I live in the city for the moment). Isn't the Jeep Wrangler "Sport" the cheapest of all Jeep Wranglers? I'd love to have a Rubicon though. How many do you think it will cost to buy from a dealer vs. a private owner of a Jeep Wrangler that's about 5 years old? I bought my Celica from a dealer. I don't trust private sellers. I don't know why.

Is owning a Jeep easy to change my own oil since it sits higher compared to my low sitting, sporty, Toyota Celica? My Celica is easy to maintain so I hope Jeeps are easy as well, meaning it won't give me problems the way I think Fords give owners problems after 100,000 miles or so. My Toyota is getting close to 270,000 miles. It has given me problems right when it was getting close to 200,000 miles. It beat Ford. LOL.

peejjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
0IIIIIII0
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep
I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Celica. It's getting old. I think I need something higher sitting. I can't afford anything new model (2013/2014). Is it best to look for a 5 year old Jeep? A 2008/2009 Jeep? I think the Wrangler is a good choice since I like its military type of look. Are these 4 cylinders? Good on gas? Good on harsh climates (in case I move to North Dakota)? Stick or automatic? I'd prefer a hard top since those plastic looking cover look like it's easy to slice up through it and steal everything in your car (I live in the city for the moment). Isn't the Jeep Wrangler "Sport" the cheapest of all Jeep Wranglers? I'd love to have a Rubicon though. How many do you think it will cost to buy from a dealer vs. a private owner of a Jeep Wrangler that's about 5 years old? I bought my Celica from a dealer. I don't trust private sellers. I don't know why. Is owning a Jeep easy to change my own oil since it sits higher compared to my low sitting, sporty, Toyota Celica? My Celica is easy to maintain so I hope Jeeps are easy as well, meaning it won't give me problems the way I think Fords give owners problems after 100,000 miles or so. My Toyota is getting close to 270,000 miles. It has given me problems right when it was getting close to 200,000 miles. It beat Ford. LOL.
m
First, welcome to the forum!


You've got quite a list of questions there. But before I go on a long winded answer, I'd be able to save a lot of typing if you had a price point to work with.

Sent from my TJ
__________________
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep View Post
I currently drive a 2001 Toyota Celica. It's getting old. I think I need something higher sitting. I can't afford anything new model (2013/2014). Is it best to look for a 5 year old Jeep? A 2008/2009 Jeep? I think the Wrangler is a good choice since I like its military type of look. Are these 4 cylinders? Good on gas? Good on harsh climates (in case I move to North Dakota)? Stick or automatic? I'd prefer a hard top since those plastic looking cover look like it's easy to slice up through it and steal everything in your car (I live in the city for the moment). Isn't the Jeep Wrangler "Sport" the cheapest of all Jeep Wranglers? I'd love to have a Rubicon though. How many do you think it will cost to buy from a dealer vs. a private owner of a Jeep Wrangler that's about 5 years old? I bought my Celica from a dealer. I don't trust private sellers. I don't know why.

Is owning a Jeep easy to change my own oil since it sits higher compared to my low sitting, sporty, Toyota Celica? My Celica is easy to maintain so I hope Jeeps are easy as well, meaning it won't give me problems the way I think Fords give owners problems after 100,000 miles or so. My Toyota is getting close to 270,000 miles. It has given me problems right when it was getting close to 200,000 miles. It beat Ford. LOL.
Is it best to look for a 5 year old Jeep? Not really, a 5-year old JK (07+ Wrangler) won't cost much less than a new one and doesn't have as good of an engine and transmission (auto), they hold their value really well. Your best bet is either to buy new or go for a TJ (97-06 Wrangler) or YJ (87-95 Wrangler) if your budget is really tight.

Are these 4 cylinders? Only older models (TJ/YJ), 07+ (JK) Wranglers are V6 only pre-07 (TJ/YJ) Wranglers were available with either a 2.5L I4 or 4.0L I6, there is no reason to get the 4-cyl except for price, gas mileage is about the same and the 4-cyl has allot less power.

Good on gas? In a word NO. You don't buy a Wrangler for the gas mileage.

Good on harsh climates (in case I move to North Dakota)? Absolutely, this (and off-roading) is what Jeeps are made for.

Stick or automatic? All Wranglers are available with both. prior to 2012 the stick was the better option for performance and reliability. 2012+ models have a better automatic (Daimler W5A580) so it is mainly just about what you like more in 2012+ models.

Isn't the Jeep Wrangler "Sport" the cheapest of all Jeep Wranglers? The designation for the base model varies year to year, among newer models it is "Sport", in older models "Sport", "SE", "X", and simply base (no name/designation) were used.

Is owning a Jeep easy to change my own oil since it sits higher compared to my low sitting, sporty, Toyota Celica? Oh yes, no jack required on a Jeep. Older models (TJ/YJ) will have the easiest maintenance. The 4.0L I6 is about as simple to work on as an engine gets.


My Celica is easy to maintain so I hope Jeeps are easy as well, meaning it won't give me problems the way I think Fords give owners problems after 100,000 miles or so.
Wranglers, especially TJs and YJs with the 4.0L I6 are relatively reliable (these engines are bulletproof). The biggest weak spot reliability wise is the 42RLE automatic transmission offered in 03-11 Wranglers. The 3.8L V6 in 07-11 Wranglers is underpowered but reliable (though not as good as the 4.0L I6), the 3.6L "Pentastar" V6 in 2012+ Wranglers should be reliable though it hasn't been out long enough to know for sure, but it is a modern DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam) V6 is it is very complex and you can pretty much forget about doing your own major repairs or complex maintenance on it (unless you have allot of expensive specialty tools), but almost all newer vehicles are like this.


Also of Note:
Jeep Model designations:
YJ: 87-95 Wrangler (1st gen)
TJ: 97-06 Wrangler (2nd gen)
JK: 07+ Wrangler (3rd gen)

XJ: 84-01 "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees.
SJ/FSJ: "Full Sized Jeeps" Wagnoeer (pre-84), Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee (pre-84), J-Series trucks
ZJ: 93-98 Grand Cherokee (1st gen)
WJ: 99-04 Grand Cherokee (2nd gen)
WK: 05-10 Grand Cherokee (3rd gen)
WK2: 11+ Grand Cherokee (4th gen)
KJ: 02-07 Liberty (1st gen)
KK: 08-13 Liberty (2nd gen)
XK: Commander
MK: Patriot/Compass
MJ: Comanche (an XJ Cherokee based pickup)
CJ: "Civilian Jeep" pre-wrangler "Jeep Jeeps".
KL: The "new" 2014 Cherokee (what an ugly thing that is, think Pontiac Aztec).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
peejjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8
I think under $10K for a used one is my price range. Dmill89 suggested a new Jeep as the price would not be much difference. How is this? I would get a new one if it just makes more sense. I'd love to have it new. Doesn't a new Jeep start at $14K? I've seen on the Jeep website that the Wrangler start at about $22K. Would the price of a new Jeep from a few years back still be sold or are they usually replaced with a 2013 model? If I can get a new Jeep Wrangler from a few years back then that would be great. I'm just not sure if a dealership would still have them stocked. Does the value of a new Jeep from a few years back drop a few thousand bucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
m
First, welcome to the forum!


You've got quite a list of questions there. But before I go on a long winded answer, I'd be able to save a lot of typing if you had a price point to work with.

Sent from my TJ
peejjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
0IIIIIII0
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep
I think under $10K for a used one is my price range. Dmill89 suggested a new Jeep as the price would not be much difference. How is this? I would get a new one if it just makes more sense. I'd love to have it new. Doesn't a new Jeep start at $14K? I've seen on the Jeep website that the Wrangler start at about $22K. Would the price of a new Jeep from a few years back still be sold or are they usually replaced with a 2013 model? If I can get a new Jeep Wrangler from a few years back then that would be great. I'm just not sure if a dealership would still have them stocked. Does the value of a new Jeep from a few years back drop a few thousand bucks?
To stay under 10, you're looking at a TJ (97-06 model year). And likely even as old as 03-04. To give you a real world example, we purchased a 2000 with relatively high mileage for 7k this summer. The jeep was immaculate.

New jeeps seem to be in the high 20's for base models up to whatever you care to spend for bells and whistles.

Sent from my TJ
__________________
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 724
A new base Wrangler (2-door) is $22k, though a hard top and A/C brings it up to around $25k. If you want a "stripped down" base model (or close to it) you would probably have to order one, most of the ones you find on dealer lots will have a fair amount of options and be in the high $20k to mid $30k range (at least that's what dealers where I live have). A Rubicon(2 door) starts at about $31K and a loaded Rubicon is $44K (door). 4-door versions add about $3k to the price.

As 0IIIIIII0 said for under $10k you are looking at a TJ and probably not a particularly new or low mileage one, it is common for "later" (02-06) TJs with low mileage (<75K mi) to go for $15k-20K.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
peejjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8
would ordering one cost more since doesn't it have to be hauled to my local dealership? Wouldn't a manual cost less? I'm single so I don't mind the 2-door version. I'd just prefer a hard top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
A new base Wrangler (2-door) is $22k, though a hard top and A/C brings it up to around $25k. If you want a "stripped down" base model (or close to it) you would probably have to order one, most of the ones you find on dealer lots will have a fair amount of options and be in the high $20k to mid $30k range (at least that's what dealers where I live have). A Rubicon(2 door) starts at about $31K and a loaded Rubicon is $44K (door). 4-door versions add about $3k to the price.

As 0IIIIIII0 said for under $10k you are looking at a TJ and probably not a particularly new or low mileage one, it is common for "later" (02-06) TJs with low mileage (<75K mi) to go for $15k-20K.
peejjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
0IIIIIII0
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep
would ordering one cost more since doesn't it have to be hauled to my local dealership? Wouldn't a manual cost less? I'm single so I don't mind the 2-door version. I'd just prefer a hard top.
Sticker price maybe, but the dealer won't have much of an incentive to make a deal.

Sent from my TJ
__________________
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
joeydominick
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: lATROBE, pa
Posts: 429
Tread lightly 1% below inviice
joeydominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
dmill89
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep View Post
would ordering one cost more since doesn't it have to be hauled to my local dealership?
Yes and no. It won't affect the sticker price, you pay transport whether you order it or not (look at the sticker on one on the lot it will have that in there). If you could find a base model that isn't loaded up on a dealer's lot you will likely be abele to get a better deal since they aren't usually willing to deal much on a special order as 0IIIIIII0 said, though as joeydominick said there are special discounts out there available which would make it not matter if you order it or buy it off the lot. Aside from Tread Lightly, if your employer buys fleet vehicles from Chrysler check with them, you might get a similar discount. My employer has the same deal (1% below invoice) with Chrysler and X-plan with Ford (not a specific percentage, discount varies by vehicle, but I got an extra $2,000 off on my Mustang because of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejjeep View Post
Wouldn't a manual cost less?
Base price is with the manual, the auto adds about $1,000 to the price.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
peejjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8
another thing; can a Jeep Wrangler be used to get a job in the snow removal business? I think I have seen a couple Jeeps being used but it's usually a pickup truck like a Ford F-150. I'm starting to get into the construction business as well and most I hear is "pickup truck is needed". I guess to haul tools?
peejjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 735
I cannot imagine a snow removal jeep being used as a daily driver. Especially after a few years in the salt.

A pickup truck is the standard construction workers vehicle. Yes, for tool hauling but also for carrying construction materials to the job site. If you are going to be in "mud construction", e.g. road construction/site preparation/oilfield work, you are going to need a 4 wheel drive pickup. Jeep has not made a pickup truck for quite a while now, and a wrangler is simply not big enough to carry the loads required by construction workers.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
XJ99Josh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Your best bet would be to search craigslist for a tj you won't find any newer 07+ for anything under 14k with low ish miles. Do lots of research on what you would plan to do with the jeep after purchase. Lift, bumpers, bigger tires etc. Also I would not recommend using a jeep as a snow removal vehicle you would be better off with a cheap used Chevy or ford... Research is key good luck.
XJ99Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
peejjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 8
JEEP Renegade?

Has anyone here looked into the Jeep Renegade? It looks like a Cherokee. Not sure why the need for another one with a different name? I read it is a turbo charged 4 cylinder so that should be OK with gas. I like 4 cylinders. Can't think of anything else good to say about it so I'll let you guys talk.
peejjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
WDNewman
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central Mississippi, Mississippi
Posts: 735
Five months after your first post on this subject and you are still asking basically the same questions. Do some research. Start here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...t-here-523324/

After you have read and understood all of that, start doing some Google searches. When you started you wanted a Wrangler. Now you want a Renegade?

The Renegade is just a model of the Jeep Liberty, a SUV that is not well thought of. Forget about it being "OK with gas". You need to start delving deeper into the subject matter so you can decide what jeep you even want. Then we can give some meaningful answers.
__________________
Hey guys, there is NO SUCH THING as RPMS. There is NO "S" in RPM.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but not nearly as much as ignorance.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.