Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

what jeep to buy

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  222Doc 
#1 ·
we are going to do some off roading in Arizona, probly not some heavy rock climbing so what jeep should we get, we are retired and can afford a newer jeep

#3 ·
Az trails tend to get rocky fast. rated from 1-5.

1 graded dirt road
2 rough dirt roads. most types of 4x4 will do well, even some 2x4's
3 this is were the terrain changes fast 32s open open(no lockers) and the word Jeep was intended.
3.5 By many is considered hard core. damage to body, pinstriped, a stock Rubicon works;Locked and 33s min 35" recommended and at least 3" lift under body armor, metal fenders.
4. Min 35" locked. 37 recommended roll over very possible damage and parts start breaking IE axles etc. Full cage is recommend. trails in this range are like running the little sluice on Rubicon spotting and straps.
5. Is full on hard core and is not recommended for anything that is street driven. very hard stuff that can lead to serious damage.

Being in a few Clubs here in AZ my self. I can say that most people once into it will want to test there jeep with friends on upto 3.5. lockers keep the wheel spin down and slow. the none locked must use more gas and that leads to breaking stuff. example on a club runs that we lead: say 15 jeeps show up and its a duel run meaning two ways a group will take the easy way up to 3. out of that maybe 5 jeeps will go with me and run upto 4.25ish trail hard way.

The older Tj's 2006 and older. are easier to work on. If newer is wanted than its a JK todays jeep. Rubis do well here on 35"s and 3" or more lift. Low cog just dont get over rocks well and like i said there is many here.

I would join a club that fits you guys. there are many to choose from. Each local club will KNOW their trails very well and trail few even know about. They can recommend things for you. maybe even know of some jeeps to look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.