What do you think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > What do you think?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What do you think?

97 wrangler with weird looking front fenders, 135k miles, dana 44 rear, I6, manual

I know its high miles, but I could buy it without financing

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/660438109.html

I will be using it for light offroading thru bumpy 2 tracks and sandy washes. If I can find a newer engine for it it would become my DD, but for now I have a Toyota Corolla for when I have to drive to the city.

pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
RED107
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would look for something in a little better condition. Looks beat on and the flat fenders look chopped. It also has electrical problems that can be a nightmare to repair. If you looking for a straight trail rig then maybe. But in my opinion you could do better. Just my 2 cents.
www.myjeepspace.com/red107 www.extremejeepsofnorthflorida.net
RED107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a 2000 with 120K miles that looks to be in a heck of a lot better shape than that. They're asking $7900, so you know you can get it for $7K.

Link to ad (if it works): http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=12
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ill call on that one

Here's the other Im looking at...no photo for some reason, but its worth a drive to Cottonwood since I have to go to Prescott later anyhow

http://www.larrygreenchevrolet.com/V...ails/990031264
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, you just doubled your budge.

Rubis rule. Although, I'd still like to see you get it from a private sale. Don't forget, no sales tax that way.
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I have never heard of anyone regretting their purchase of a Rubicon. Hardcore wheelers like to build a rig from scratch, but a Rubicon gives you a head start with a more than capable off-road vehicle. I bought my first Jeep in 2000...a 99 Sahara. When the Rubicon came out in 03 I knew that would be my next Jeep. My 99 was totalled last year, so I found an 04 Rubicon to replace it.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I probably cant swing more than 6k private, thats my problem...financed its a bit higher, though 16k is probably more than I can handle
Unread 05-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think it was Jim Allen in the Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook that said that you can build a more capable Jeep than a Rubicon for less money by building it yourself. That's a strong argument to spend the 6K cash now, and upgrade as you go. Watch the bone yards for a D60, or 8.8, and you'll eventually end up with a Rubicon killer anyway.
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just remember you said that when you and your Rubicon are towing me SE out of the sandy washes

My #1 concern is not getting stuck in the sand

The first place Im going to take my Jeep when I get one is Hassayampa Dinosaur box canyon. I know 2wd cars can often make it thru there, but in the summer the wash gets sandier and looser

I definitely want a d44 rear to start with, and I can hold on till that at least.
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just remember you said that when you and your Rubicon are towing me SE out of the sandy washes

My #1 concern is not getting stuck in the sand

The first place Im going to take my Jeep when I get one is Hassayampa Dinosaur box canyon. I know 2wd cars can often make it thru there, but in the summer the wash gets sandier and looser

I definitely want a d44 rear to start with, and I can hold on till that at least.
Hehe, if I'm there, I'd be happy to give you a tug. That's why it's best to travel with a friend or two.

Finding something with a D44 rear axle sounds like a good compromise. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find exactly what you're looking for. Phoenix is a mecca for used Jeeps.
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK, Im looking at a 99 TJ 5 speed 6 cylinder, body, suspension and drivetrain appear to be in excellent condition. Interior has one small rip on the drivers seatside. Motor is 134k. There is a bit of lift on it and the rear is only a dana 35.

Im not rock crawling, but there are bumpy roads, washes and loose rocks where I'm going. Also its a soft top and has no A/C.

I was under the impression the A/C didnt work all that good in soft tops and my duster never had A/C so Im probably going to be ok with the A/C thing, but elsewise do you think this thing is worth 6k$?

This way I dont have to get into financing

The seller lives up here in Wickenburg and part of a Jeep club of some sort on a different forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.