What do you think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > What do you think?

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What do you think?

97 wrangler with weird looking front fenders, 135k miles, dana 44 rear, I6, manual

I know its high miles, but I could buy it without financing

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/660438109.html

I will be using it for light offroading thru bumpy 2 tracks and sandy washes. If I can find a newer engine for it it would become my DD, but for now I have a Toyota Corolla for when I have to drive to the city.

pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
RED107
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would look for something in a little better condition. Looks beat on and the flat fenders look chopped. It also has electrical problems that can be a nightmare to repair. If you looking for a straight trail rig then maybe. But in my opinion you could do better. Just my 2 cents.
www.myjeepspace.com/red107 www.extremejeepsofnorthflorida.net
RED107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a 2000 with 120K miles that looks to be in a heck of a lot better shape than that. They're asking $7900, so you know you can get it for $7K.

Link to ad (if it works): http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=12
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ill call on that one

Here's the other Im looking at...no photo for some reason, but its worth a drive to Cottonwood since I have to go to Prescott later anyhow

http://www.larrygreenchevrolet.com/V...ails/990031264
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, you just doubled your budge.

Rubis rule. Although, I'd still like to see you get it from a private sale. Don't forget, no sales tax that way.
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I have never heard of anyone regretting their purchase of a Rubicon. Hardcore wheelers like to build a rig from scratch, but a Rubicon gives you a head start with a more than capable off-road vehicle. I bought my first Jeep in 2000...a 99 Sahara. When the Rubicon came out in 03 I knew that would be my next Jeep. My 99 was totalled last year, so I found an 04 Rubicon to replace it.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I probably cant swing more than 6k private, thats my problem...financed its a bit higher, though 16k is probably more than I can handle
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think it was Jim Allen in the Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook that said that you can build a more capable Jeep than a Rubicon for less money by building it yourself. That's a strong argument to spend the 6K cash now, and upgrade as you go. Watch the bone yards for a D60, or 8.8, and you'll eventually end up with a Rubicon killer anyway.
Unread 05-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just remember you said that when you and your Rubicon are towing me SE out of the sandy washes

My #1 concern is not getting stuck in the sand

The first place Im going to take my Jeep when I get one is Hassayampa Dinosaur box canyon. I know 2wd cars can often make it thru there, but in the summer the wash gets sandier and looser

I definitely want a d44 rear to start with, and I can hold on till that at least.
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Just remember you said that when you and your Rubicon are towing me SE out of the sandy washes

My #1 concern is not getting stuck in the sand

The first place Im going to take my Jeep when I get one is Hassayampa Dinosaur box canyon. I know 2wd cars can often make it thru there, but in the summer the wash gets sandier and looser

I definitely want a d44 rear to start with, and I can hold on till that at least.
Hehe, if I'm there, I'd be happy to give you a tug. That's why it's best to travel with a friend or two.

Finding something with a D44 rear axle sounds like a good compromise. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find exactly what you're looking for. Phoenix is a mecca for used Jeeps.
Unread 05-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK, Im looking at a 99 TJ 5 speed 6 cylinder, body, suspension and drivetrain appear to be in excellent condition. Interior has one small rip on the drivers seatside. Motor is 134k. There is a bit of lift on it and the rear is only a dana 35.

Im not rock crawling, but there are bumpy roads, washes and loose rocks where I'm going. Also its a soft top and has no A/C.

I was under the impression the A/C didnt work all that good in soft tops and my duster never had A/C so Im probably going to be ok with the A/C thing, but elsewise do you think this thing is worth 6k$?

This way I dont have to get into financing

The seller lives up here in Wickenburg and part of a Jeep club of some sort on a different forum.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.