What to buy, Tj or Yj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > What to buy, Tj or Yj?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Matt1997

What to buy, Tj or Yj?

I'm 15 years old, turn 16 in exactly one week. I've always loved Wranglers, and im looking forward to finally getting one once i save up enough. I research them a lot and i thought for the longest time that i wanted to buy a yj for my first, but recently thats changed. I decided that i think i want a tj, but i figured id go here and ask for some help from you guys. i still have a little time before ill be buying one but itd be cool to have some feedback soon. Thanks!

Matt1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Adam013085

If it will be your DD I would look into the TJ. They are newer and will be more reliable than most YJs.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Matt1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085
If it will be your DD I would look into the TJ. They are newer and will be more reliable than most YJs.
That what I was thinking, because ill just be driving to school and work and then driving around for fun, maybe some offroading with friends in the future. Thanks for the response!
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
tpeters1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree go tj if you can they are newer and tend to rust less. If a DD in your part of the country I would look for a hardtop. If possible a 4.0 but they tend to bring a higher price. If you do get a 2.5 or 4 cylinder tj keep the tires under 31 inch tires and if it is a manual it will be good for around town. They cost less because they do not have the power for bigger tires. The drawback is 4 or 6 both get about the same mileage.

FYI TJ or YJ they are not good on gas.

Good luck in your search and as a father of a new driver please be carful!
tpeters1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Matt1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeters1
I would agree go tj if you can they are newer and tend to rust less. If a DD in your part of the country I would look for a hardtop. If possible a 4.0 but they tend to bring a higher price. If you do get a 2.5 or 4 cylinder tj keep the tires under 31 inch tires and if it is a manual it will be good for around town. They cost less because they do not have the power for bigger tires. The drawback is 4 or 6 both get about the same mileage.

FYI TJ or YJ they are not good on gas.

Good luck in your search and as a father of a new driver please be carful!
Ok thank you for the information!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.