wanting a trailer hitch, questions about capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > wanting a trailer hitch, questions about capacity

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wanting a trailer hitch, questions about capacity

so i have a YJ with the 6 and want to tow my 79 vette with it. aside from having a class III hitch, will the jeep hold up? i know it isnt rated for it but will it hold up? can it handle the weight? the vette is 3400 lb, plus any kind of trailer. thoughts? thanks

mzimerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If this isn't a joke;

Don't do it! YJ's are rated at 2000lbs. Trailer will push you.

djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
mzimerf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ive done it with my tj before with no issues. Just wondering why the yj wouldnt. I know what its rated for but power wise it can handle it right? I towed a car on a two wheeled dolley with my tj. Brakes fine, eccelaration fine. Just worried about the short wheel base with this car cause its a bit heavier than the other one. Thank you
mzimerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Short wheelbase is the primary reason. Craptastic transmissions are the other concern I would have, especially if you've got the Peugeot manual (BA-10/5)
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That kind of load would be downright scary in a TJ or YJ IMO. I have pulled up to the 2000lbs in my TJ and would not want to carry more, add in the bigger tires, your brakes and wheelbase were not designed for that kind of load, get a truck it's what they are made for.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch , towing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.