The value of my 1989 Islander - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > The value of my 1989 Islander

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
white sox bill

The value of my 1989 Islander

I wish I had a pic but I dont, so let me describe it: (FWIW Kelly Blue Book, which only goes back 20 yrs on vehickles, had it at $3446 using the data that best fit it, so an 1989 would be less) It has 160,000 miles, is a 4.2 straight six cylinder

The bad:
Body has 2 or 3 really bad spots, front and rear panel where you could easily put 2 fingers thru it and some other surface rust

The driver seatbelt has also rusted thru so the base of belt would need to be re-attached

Brake line is exposed on this model and at least one line is broke, but rest may be close to being broke

Needs a carb kit, but it does run

The good:
Engine has 160,000 on it but got rebuilt at about the 140,000 mark so its good to go infact it purrs pretty good

Has both hard and soft tops

Has 4 almost brand new tires

Has great CD am/fm stereo by Clarion

Has trialer hitch

Any suggestions on a fair selling price to another individual? Thanks!

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately the bad will always out weight the good when your selling a vehicle, me personally I would list it at 4500 or best offer and see what you get. You could probably get 3500 maybe more if your good at haggling and have time to weight for the right buyer
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
white sox bill

I would be shocked to get that much as I havent driven it in 3 yrs....someone already low balled me at $800 LOL
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea you could part it out for more than 800, you could probably get over 2k parting it out
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
chico166
2011 JK Wrangler 

Without seeing it, I'm thinking you should realistically expect to get $2k-$3k
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you capable of doing any work on it yourself? I would expect to get a lot more hits on the vehicle if you were to fix that brake line and put the carburetor kit on there. Because you were forced to use a '92 Wrangler for the KBB value did you pick the four or six cylinder engine? If you picked the 4.0L then I would say that estimate is a bit high.

As it sits, at least in my area, I would expect to not get much more than $2500 for it. With those issues fixed I would expect another $1000 on top of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.