Unlimited? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Unlimited?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited?

Well, as things are turning out, I may have a few more dollars to put into my future jeep than was originally expected. This opens up the possibility of affording a TJ Unlimited model.

The Unlimited brings with it that wonderful Dana 44 rear end and a larger cargo area (I'll be removing the back seat regardless of what I get and using the area behind the front seats as a pickup bed).

Downsides? Seems to me that the longer wheelbase and greater overall length will decrease off-road capability. It's no longer as short and maneuverable as the short wheelbase TJ. Seems to me that it's also more likely to get stuck in the middle when going over a sharp hill (is there a term for that?).

Am I right or is that extra 10 inches of wheelbase so small that there's really no downside to an Unlimited? I'd love to hear from those who have taken both the short and long wheelbase versions offroad.

JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest reading this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The long wheel base can be very helpful and makes it ride better on the street and increases the towing capacity.
Why do you think all of the serious Tj guys stretch their wheelbase to basically match the LJ's stock wheelbase.
The downfall is you are longer in the backend and can catch stuff when you go over rocks and ledges along with getting high centered on occasion.
I do have to take more care in the tight areas, but that will make you a better driver in the long run and will boost your ego when you can fit the longer LJ in the same space as the TJ.
LJ has disc brakes all around.
The added space is very useful and the TJ's get very envious of that feature.
Looks like the old Scramblers.
I'm very happy with my LJ and I wheel with many Tj's that are stretched and not stretched and do almost all of the trails they do. Most of them are on 35's or bigger.
They curse me when the little bit longer wheelbase gets up and over obstacles that they have to fight with.
Find an '06, if you can and you can avoid the problems in the above post. The 06 also has the beefed up 6 spd unlike the '05's which has a reverse issue (I know from having to rebuild my reverse).
I've owned 3 CJ7's and a YJ over the last 25+ years.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet View Post
The long wheel base can be very helpful and makes it ride better on the street and increases the towing capacity.
Why do you think all of the serious Tj guys stretch their wheelbase to basically match the LJ's stock wheelbase.
The downfall is you are longer in the backend and can catch stuff when you go over rocks and ledges along with getting high centered on occasion.
I do have to take more care in the tight areas, but that will make you a better driver in the long run and will boost your ego when you can fit the longer LJ in the same space as the TJ.
I'm very happy with my LJ and I wheel with many Tj's that are stretched and not stretched and do almost all of the trails they do. Most of them are on 35's or bigger.
They curse me when the little bit longer wheelbase gets up and over obstacles that they have to fight with.
Find an '06, if you can and you can avoid the problems in the above post. The 06 also has the beefed up 6 spd unlike the '05's which has a reverse issue (I know from having to rebuild my reverse).
Well said. An 06 LJ will likely be my next vehicle.
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
BlueDevilBrew
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot magnet
I just bought an '06 LJ Rubi. I was under the impression in was the 2004 year that didn't have OPDA problems, but '05 and '06 did??
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Depends on the build date for the OPDA issue.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Okay. I read it. Don't really know what it's telling me though. It appeared that it isn't confined to Unlimiteds. Is that correct? I saw where there was a Chrysler service bulletin, but couldn't really tell if that was a warranty fix that most would have by now or not.

Lots of good information for someone who has the problem, but are you trying to tell me I shouldn't buy an unlimited for this reason?
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The extra length is nice for storage and towing capacity the overall length increase is 20" but the wheelbase is only about 10" or so the other 10" is behind the wheels which give the LJ the dreaded rear end that can get caught on over hangs, and ledges. Also you are slightly more likely to high center but not a huge problem, and on some really tight turns you may need to make a three point turn. IMO the advantages far out weigh the few disadvantages.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I like mine and figure it will be the next Jeep Classic?? anyone agree??
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Shadowless73
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I am arriving late at this show, but I love my 2004 LJ, I put 31 inch Good Year Wranglers which are great off road and on road. Never a problem going to or getting to where I need and want to go.
Shadowless73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think the LJ is definitely worth a look. Mine has never been off-road, but handles pavement with ease! You're a distance from me, but it is posted in the forum classifieds, so you can check out some pics.
dscn1893.jpg  
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.