unbelievable Purchase (good story) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > unbelievable Purchase (good story)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
RHEEMO
1984 CJ7 

unbelievable Purchase (good story)

Sorry for my first post being so long, It's a good story I think and should be worth the read.

So, I decided to start looking for a Jeep again after mine was sold out from under me 6 years ago (it was my parent's car legally and they wanted to do something nice and buy me a car for graduation). I was doing the daily morning and night searches of the local craigslist in hopes of finding a cheap Cherokee to have as a side project to mess with this summer. After 2 weeks, I still had no leads.

This morning, I decided to go down to the local body shop where every employee has a 4 wheel drive of some sort and just ask if they had any leads. After talking to the owner of the shop, I finally got a lead on a CJ-7 in the next town over and a phone number.

I wasn't even sure the guy wanted to sell his jeep or not, or if he wanted a crazy amount for it. I was told that he would probably want around $3000 for it. So, I wait around a bit and decide to just call him and ask what he was looking to get for it/ what shape it was in.

As you may have guessed already, this guy owns my Jeep. Not a duplicate, but my exact high school first car Jeep. He bought it from my parents 6 years ago, drove it and did "upgrades" for 4 months and hasn't touched it since. After talking to him for a good long while, we finally settled on a price. He said he would take exactly what he paid my parents for it. Which, as it turns out, was only $1800. Today was a good day.

My Jeep was a 1984 CJ-7 RENEGADE green with orange decals. One of his "upgrades" was to scrape all of the decals off. He cut the dual tube bumpers off close to the frame. He also added my very least favorite part of any CJ, those god awful diamond plate corner caps and rockers. And not the ones designed specifically for the CJ-7, he made them himself instead, and they are bright shiny stainless (no offense, it's just not my thing).

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured everyone would like to ready a good story either way. I made this account for more than to share this story as well, because I'm going to be needing these forums to help me build her back to her former glory. Looking forward to the journey helping others and finding the answers i need.

We'll see you out there

--Mitch

RHEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
jrwolf32

Good luck with the build.
jrwolf32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Fitch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No pictures? What the hell man!
Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
RHEEMO
1984 CJ7 

I have to have 25 posts in order to put up pictures. I'll get there and be sure to show it off.
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
GS430
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Congrats - very cool story. Enjoy and don't let it go.
GS430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good story! Have you told your parents?
jjvw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Golfne5

Great story! Glad you got it back.
Golfne5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
CommonSense
2000 TJ Wrangler 

small world. good luck!
CommonSense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
dan09

That's awesome!
dan09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
RHEEMO
1984 CJ7 

Alright! I'm back with updates finally! I went through hell to pick her up this weekend, but i finally managed it. I had a bit of an altercation with my dad over buying this old pile of rust. I finally pulled everything together and everyone agreed to stop throwing fits about the damn jeep. I got all of the details worked out with the owner, and he agreed to deliver it on his trailer from the next town over. It was a long wait, but yesterday we unloaded it and got the title work done. It was the strangest feeling in the world to drive it again after so long. When i opened the door the first time it smelled exactly how i remembered it. It was one of the best feelings in the world. I will keep up with pictures when I can.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ha! Your dad is probably right that this was probably an unwise decision. The parents never understand. :-)
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I'm not sure why your parents would still have a say since you said it was six years ago that they sold it. Can't wait to see pics.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
RHEEMO
1984 CJ7 

Got my profile pic up finally. Still working on posting enough to be allowed to post pictures. I have been going crazy researching everything i need/want to do to it at some point. I ran into some carb issues that I need help on if anyone is an expert in that area. I made a thread over in the CJ area. I got everything calmed down on the family side of the drama surrounding this purchase now, so it's back to a fun toy instead of snobby comments from my dad at dinner once a week. Thanks for the help everyone. Can't wait to start building on it.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
offroadaction
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is nice to hear good stories like that every once in a while!
My Super Slow Silver Build
offroadaction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.