Two TJs under consideration, which? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
DougRz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Two TJs under consideration, which?

* Note: I cross posted this on another Jeep site that seems to have a different audience. Apologies if this is a no-no *

Hey all,

Been lurking, first post. After Jeeping with friends and learning the ropes since moving to the mtns, finally decided to get my own. Based on funds factors, it'll be a TJ. Budget is up to 15k, but less is better of course. After looking for weeks and expanding my search area greatly for lack of good targets, I have these 2 in my sights, please give me your opinions.

Background wants: I don't expect to do hardcore crawling. Think rough CO and UT main trails, but not Moab bathtub stuff, and not massive articulation boulder hopping. Given that, I want a capable rig that'll keep me out of trouble and ---> hold its value <--- within reason. I am capable and willing to do my own mods short of removing/rebuilding engine and tranny, but realistic life time constraints make serious projects tough. Hence targeting units that are spec'd out well.

Key details that I've learned though emails and phone--

1. 2003 non-Ruby, 106k, I6, auto. Can get this for $12k:
-ARBs front and rear in 2005
-9k winch (looks Superwinch brand?)
-Rancho air shocks with pump controls in cab
-2.5" Trailmaster suspension lift
-SYE w/CV rear driveshaft, Pro Comp kit
-Front driveshaft machined and rebalanced at the time of SYE
-Skid plates: under steering sector, large one that covers the complete engine and transmission area, plus gas tank
-Roof rack... complete over the entire hardtop, from rear bumper to A-pillars
-32" tires (look like KM MTs?) half worn
-Fender flares look like the Rugged Ridge 4.75" on quadratec.com
-Other: CB, transmission just serviced, new throttle position sensor, cold AC, gun safe bolted into the body replacing the factory center console. All in excellent working condition, claimed.

2. 2004 Ruby, 63k (not a typo), I6, auto, Can get this for $15k:
-Nth degree tummy tuck
-Nth degree oil pan and trans pan skids
-Rubi Express adjustable short arms
-Tom Wood's rear driveshaft
-Mastercraft suspension seats
-Poison Spyder front cage kit
-CB w/firestick
-Locker pumps relocated, locker bypass mod done
-AEM intake
-SWAG tailgate kit and rear bumper
-MT Classic III rims (5), with OEM rims included also
-Nitto Trail Grappler 285/75/16, about 1/3 worn
-Hard top and doors, and bikini top and header bar
-Smittybilt 8k winch with synthetic rope
-Rough Country 2.5" springs
-Flat fender, sliders, rear corner armor

Best I could find after weeks of looking. The problem is, these are quite a drive away and would be brought back after going through checkouts. Obviously personal inspection might rule one in or out, but assuming they are both solid, I want to target one first and move quickly.

My thoughts: the non-Ruby obviously has ARBs, which were an unexpected find. Probably overkill for my intended wheeling, but very nice, and potential future value. I would sell the rack and get a soft top and half doors of some type. The Ruby's low miles are enticing, and potential retention of value with the Ruby name is a bonus. The Ruby's extras are nice, it's a well tricked out rig. I will sell one set of rims. I think for my intended wheeling, the 2.72 t-case is a better fit, but the Ruby's 4:1 isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Can't post attachments, hopefully these links work...

...edit: can't even post links. Argh.

Last edited by DougRz; 03-20-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Adam013085

Garage
I didn't read the entire thread but if its between these 2 and they are in comparable condition the Rubi would be the easy pick. At only $3k more and half the miles it's worth it IMO. If you ever decide to sell down the road a Rubicon is likely to fetch a couple grand more than the other trims as well.

1998 Jeep wrangler
31x10.50x15 tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.