Trying to decide which Jeep to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Trying to decide which Jeep to buy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

Trying to decide which Jeep to buy

I am looking to replace my 2005 Chevy Equinox with a new SUV. I have had numerous issues with my Equinox-blown head gaskets, manifold gaskets, water pumps, etc since I purchased it used 5 years ago.

My area has mountains and hills so my driving is a mixture of highway and city. I have to go to work in the snow so 4x4 is a must. I am looking to keep this new SUV for a long time so I need something reliable as possible.

I can't decide between 2014 Compass, Grand Cherokee, or the new Cherokee. I am leary of 1st year cars/trucks but leary of a truck that will only be produced for another year.

Suggestions? Oh yeah limit is probably $30,000.

Thank you for any help.

dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

2014 Grand Cherokee

Would be my choice. New Cherokee is replacing the Liberty. GC has been out since 2010.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon672
I am looking to replace my 2005 Chevy Equinox with a new SUV. I have had numerous issues with my Equinox-blown head gaskets, manifold gaskets, water pumps, etc since I purchased it used 5 years ago.

My area has mountains and hills so my driving is a mixture of highway and city. I have to go to work in the snow so 4x4 is a must. I am looking to keep this new SUV for a long time so I need something reliable as possible.

I can't decide between 2014 Compass, Grand Cherokee, or the new Cherokee. I am leary of 1st year cars/trucks but leary of a truck that will only be produced for another year.

Suggestions? Oh yeah limit is probably $30,000.

Thank you for any help.
I suspect this will be a daily driver, so my recommendation is pickup a gently used XJ cherokee, if you want the longer
Wheelbase.
I know they're not in production but the parts and support are pretty strong. Plus they mix and match with
YJ and TJ, gear.. axles / transmission ...
Always consider which is more important as you invest, form or function.
30k buys alot of vehicle. Chose wisely.
HTH
Batty505a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

Thanks for the advice guys. Now I am confused over the 4x4 options for the Grand Cherokee. I had a 97 4x4 Jimmy with simple 4 lo and 4 hi and the Equinox has AWD. This Quadra Trac I and Quadra Trac II has me a little confused. I admit I haven't went to a dealer yet and looked at anything just researching online right now.

All I want is a simple button I can push to put in 4x4 if I'm in the snow or if I go up a hollar to one of my families graveyards. And I'll admit I'm a bit leary of going to ask the salesman because you know they want the sale oh and I don't want them to think they can pull a fast one on me cause I'm a woman.

Thanks again for your help.
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Adam013085

I believe Quadratrac is full time 4x4 or AWD. Not super familar with the grand's but I think that is the case
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Getting into 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon672 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Now I am confused over the 4x4 options for the Grand Cherokee. I had a 97 4x4 Jimmy with simple 4 lo and 4 hi and the Equinox has AWD. This Quadra Trac I and Quadra Trac II has me a little confused. I admit I haven't went to a dealer yet and looked at anything just researching online right now.

All I want is a simple button I can push to put in 4x4 if I'm in the snow or if I go up a hollar to one of my families graveyards. And I'll admit I'm a bit leary of going to ask the salesman because you know they want the sale oh and I don't want them to think they can pull a fast one on me cause I'm a woman.

Current GCs are in AWD all the time. If you get one with QTI and QTII you shift into neutral and move select terrain knob to rock. Quick easy and painless. Try to find a dealer with a females on the sales staff. My collies breeder is in Lawrenceburg, KY and those hollars arent any fun in snow or mud. The one lane road to her place can be a challenge just with on coming traffic and the one lane bridge with no sides.

I was watching Justified with my collie girl and we looked at each other when Raylan was walking on a hillside in what is supposed to be Harlan County, KY. Didnt look like KY and was Southern California.

if you anywhere near Lexington this weekend dont forget to go t the Blue Grass Classic the sheepdog trial in the Americas.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

So far I'm liking the thoughts of a Laredo with QTI. Then again the wrangler jeeps look like the old jeep I have parked in my backyard.
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon672

A suggestion
I'm Leary or cautious when it comes to push button 4wd. Personally I prefer a lever you can pull back and engage.
It's old Skool but, you know if its on or off.

Electronic 4wd creates more risk and complications. Switches get stuck motors freeze.

Jmho.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

I hear what you're saying about electronic 4wd; that's why even though I've had AWD for 5 years I would like to return to 4wd. Whatever Jeep i buy its going to be a keeper for a long time so I want something new and my only options in dealers around here are either Ford or Jeep. I don't trust my current truck to make it very far as it likes to try to overheat.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty505a View Post
A suggestion
I'm Leary or cautious when it comes to push button 4wd. Personally I prefer a lever you can pull back and engage.
It's old Skool but, you know if its on or off.

Electronic 4wd creates more risk and complications. Switches get stuck motors freeze.

Jmho.
And linkages jam and rods bend. Cables kink and snap. Havent heard of any issues with select terrain. If you go with the base GC its full time AWD all the time. New Cherokee has an AWD similar to Honda CRVs and Elements that when it detects slip at the rear it goes into AWD. Not sure about the Compass. With Select Terrain its full time AWD all the time and the select terrrain allows you to alter the traction control settings and the drive bias. It als offers a low range. Ford's system in the new Explorer I believe doesnt have a low range.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Batty505a
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti

And linkages jam and rods bend. Cables kink and snap. Havent heard of any issues with select terrain. If you go with the base GC its full time AWD all the time. New Cherokee has an AWD similar to Honda CRVs and Elements that when it detects slip at the rear it goes into AWD. Not sure about the Compass. With Select Terrain its full time AWD all the time and the select terrrain allows you to alter the traction control settings and the drive bias. It als offers a low range. Ford's system in the new Explorer I believe doesnt have a low range.
I've got 3 4wd vehicles, 2 jeeps Wranglers TJ& YJ and a 1/2 ton chevy silverado (2006)
In the 20+ years I've had 4wd with levers, I've never had a transfer case get stuck on or off. Or not be able to know if its 2wd,
4wd, or 4low. This was in Michigan. Wheeling in the snow or sand. I hate mud.
My friends 1/2 ton ford F150, he's not been so lucky.
Push button 4wd is great if you don't plan on wheeling and occasionally use it lightly.
IMHO.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Read the OP first Post

She is looking for something to replace her Equinox not a TJ or JK. I have friends with TJs, CJs, and JKs were they have had problems levers because things got bent or cables got old etc. Also the bushings in shift linkages get old and vague.

She aint going rock climbing so the GC will be fine.

With the advent of modern technology you do know carbs went bye bye and auto trannies are computer controlled and power steering is no lonnger hydraulic you can adjust a lot more parameters on the fly with knobs etc.
For instance with select terrain you can change the power steering adjust the front to rear drive bias and how the accelerator responds.

One day soon a Wrangler will have fully adjustable suspension based on the terrain settings and the brake bias will also change to go along with being able to adjust the power steering, shift points and the sensitivity of the loud pedal.

You might want to Google and read about the technology used on the vehicles running the Dakar Rally in 2013.

Now personally I want be able to turn all the drivers aids completely off expecially ABS and I prefer manual trannies. I like straight cut gears and no synchros in my manual gearboxes. But modern technology can come in handy especially off road or in situations with traction varies.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

Hello again everyone. Looking at my finances and gas mileage I am taking a closer look at the Patriot and the Compass. I know they are suppose to go out of production in a couple of years but I still might consider them as they have been in production for a while and parts will be available. My local garage has said they haven't worked on any Compasses at all which makes me feel pretty good. I know they are basically the same but which one is better or is it just the look and price that's the difference? Thanks again everyone I really think this is a great site and you all have been very helpful.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyone who says new cherokee shouldn't be allowed to buy a jeep. lol.

I really like the New GC's personally.
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
zachm
2002 WJ 

I had a mechanic tell me to stay away from the Patriot. He has seen quite a few issues. But if you are buying new, you probably don't have too much to worry about.
zachm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.