Towing Jeep that fits under a 7' garage door? Bagged? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
rebar

Towing Jeep that fits under a 7' garage door? Bagged?

Hi people..

Iv sold everything..
I sold my 24' toyhauler because it's to big for little ole me, and I need to get far away from the noisy crowded camp grounds.
I also just sold my cummins 5 speed E350 van because it didn't fit under my 7x16 garage door. It's also not the 4x4 I should have bought to drive up fire roads and pass's in colorado and again, my big toyhauler is sold and don't need a cummins. I still regret selling it though..

So now I'm sitting here with a pile of cash but not sure on what 4x4 vehicle to look for. I never buy new and I'm ok to travel for a vehicle I want even though Iv had mixed results..

I need a 4x4 vehicle that's no taller than 6'10" Bagged?
I need to haul one DR-Z400S enduro.
I need a place to sleep for two but not sold on Roof top tents.
I'd like a few of the amenities my toyhauler provided, but in off road capable size. Thinking oz tent with cots maybe? But what about a shower and kitchen?

I'm considering a full size 4x4 truck and a bed camper I could remove, with bumper motorcycle carrier. But I'm concerned about the off road capabilities a stock 4x4 truck with a heavy camper on it, compared to a Jeep towing a off road trailer? But also concerned about the carrying and towing capacity of the Jeep..
Which jeep has the highest and where would I put the motorcycle?

Just thinking out loud here.. Either way, I need a 4x4 capable of the things I mentioned and would be interested in any ideas or experiences from the group.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

a wrangler unlimited can handle 350 lbs of hitch weight. Your DRZ should weigh ~317 (my SM is around there IIRC) which leaves a few pounds for a hitch mounted carrier... Kinda depends on what you want out of a camper/tent/whatever.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
rebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
a wrangler unlimited can handle 350 lbs of hitch weight. Your DRZ should weigh ~317 (my SM is around there IIRC) which leaves a few pounds for a hitch mounted carrier... Kinda depends on what you want out of a camper/tent/whatever.
Thanks arbakken.. But I think I'm asking more from a jeep than it can safely handle. Unless I found a old V8 Cherokee on "Tons".. But most of those modified jeeps are built for the trail and not the highway.

Unfortunately I think need a full size truck to haul what I need, but I might go with a regular cab and short bed so its not like driving a school bus.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
rebar

Would a 1997 Cherokee with 4.0 5 speed have the AX15 trans?

And would the axles be the Chrysler 8.25 29 spline and Dana 30?

Im reading the factory tow rating for an XJ Cherokee is 5,000 lbs.. So my 300 lb motorcycle and a trailer tongue weight of under 200 lbs should be ok if the trailer has brakes..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.