Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Too many questions.

627 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RootBreaker 
#1 ·
So I've been looking at Jeeps lately.... I've been told that they aren't taking "builds" for 2016 anymore.. so I'm pretty much stuck with what's on dealer lots. I need this jeep to tow every once in a while, around 3000 lbs plus gear (Rpod trailer).
I looked at a Backcountry, Sahara and Rubicon.. all JKU version. The Backcountry and Sahara both have 3.21 gear ratio, which I read is not good for towing. What would happen if I tried towing with the 3.21 ratio? What does "not good" mean? I will be towing on generally flat roads.
The Rubicon that I looked at has 3.73 ratio which is sufficient to as far as I understand. However, the Rubicon doesn't have all the options I want (connectivity group). Where is a good place generally to get 3.73 or 4.10 aftermarket? Is the install very difficult? Also, the Sahara and Backcountry have 44 rear and 30 front axles.. not sure if that matters. Rubicon has 44s front and back...

#2 ·
Without the 3.73 the factory tow rating is less than your desired trailer weight. The only way to legally get the 3500# tow rating is to get the Max Tow Package which includes the 3.73.

I've got the package and have pulled only a small trailer (1500#sish). I suspect strongly that legalities aside you probably wouldn't enjoy trying to pull 3000# with 3.21 gears.

Gear swaps generally run in the thousands of dollars range.

Front axle type means nothing to towing.

I say keep looking until you find what you want or wait and order a 17 as they reportedly will still be making the JKU for 17 even with the pending introduction of the JL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.