TJ Towed Behind Motorhome? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > TJ Towed Behind Motorhome?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
89MustangGX

TJ Towed Behind Motorhome?

Hello,

It's been quite a while since I started looking for a Jeep (Life Events!), but I am back in the market now. I found a nice looking TJ with low mileage that has been towed behind a motorhome. Now, I have no idea of knowing what the actual mileage is of course, so no idea of the wear on other parts, but I am wondering if there would be additional wear and tear due to the towing? I searched and found plenty of threads on how to do it, but not if it places additional stress on steering or suspension, etc.

Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks,

Adam

89MustangGX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest doing a complete inspection and not let the low miles on the odometer persuade your purchase.

Also don't pay pay a premium for the low miles. Just assume 10-15k per year, based on vehicle year and go from there.

I don't have any first hand experience with a towed vehicle, but I don't think it is any worse off than a non towed vehicle. But, with that said I would not pay extra for a towed vehicle, unless mint.
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
89MustangGX

Thanks for the reply.

I was (am) a little torn because it looks really nice, and only has 20k miles showing on the odometer. Yes, the owner is asking a premium for it. I can't help but wonder how many miles are on everything else and think it might not be worth it. After all, in this situation I suppose other than brakes and the engine and tranny running, everything else could have 100k+ miles on it and be subject to the same wear and tear as every other Jeep that actually shows those miles. Ahh-- what to do, what to do...
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

if the rear axle moving, its turning gears in the transfer case, so tires, u joints, front end wear. shocks, stc
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if the rear axle moving, its turning gears in the transfer case, so tires, u joints, front end wear. shocks, stc
yes, but not quite the same wear. the axles, tcase, u-joints, etc, are more "free wheeling" than actually having drive torque applied with causes friction and heat. so even though these components are turning i would think there isn't much wear.

and other items like seat covers, interior would also have very little wear.

i know a couple of rv'ers and they spend plenty to keep all their rigs in tip top shape.

with all this said, i still would not over pay.
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
89MustangGX

Thanks guys. I may take a good hard look at it and see. I really do like the options, color, etc. so that may sway my decision, but I know there are plenty out there!

Appreciate the help!

Adam
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only way to gauge wear is by the tires. Are they original? Ive towed YJs, XJs and now my TJ with no wear showing. I have towed more than 20K without any problems behind my motorhomes. As others have said parts do spin when towed. If the rest of the vehicle is taken care of I would go for it.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.