Thoughts on this TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thoughts on this TJ?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

Thoughts on this TJ?

Specs:
1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 Liter 6 Cyl Engine.
5 spd manual transmission.
190,000 Mi.
Engine in good condition. Some rust.
New radiator & water pump.
Dent on front fender. Have new fender ready to be painted along with new fender flares still in box.
$3k

What the guy has told me...
Mechanically it seems fine. I haven't driven it much since Feb. but it was my daily driver for the last 9 years. Historically I've been meticulaous about keeping it in good running condition. I've gotten new shocks and tires in the last year, and did a little front end work (new steering shock & stabilizer bar). Additionally I had a new rear differential put on at about 130,000 miles. Last year I had the water pump go, so I replaced the entire cooling system (Water Pump, Radiator & Frost Plugs). I also had a new catallitic converter put on & new muffler within the last 2 years. The top is new as of this winter. The side steps are powder coated black and new within the last 2 years and have a 10 year warranty. The fuel system was clogged 3 years ago, so I yanked the tank and replaced the pump assembly. I would recommend new plugs & wires, an oil change and a new belt. Typical maintenance.

The only issue not shown are the rust near the bottom of the windshield, some rust on the back, and a small dent in the tailgate. The Jeep is loud, and I think there is an exhaust leak that I can't pinpoint. I replaced the exhaust manifold within the last 3 years, so I don't think that is the issue.

I do have a new fender as well as new plastic fender flares and new turn signals for the damaged front.

ME:
It's about 600 miles away, so I can't go drive it without wanting to be pretty sure I'm going to buy it. I think it's a pretty good deal, the miles are obviously pretty high, but I'm not going to be putting huge miles on it myself. I anxiously await the wisdom of the JEEPFORUM!

Pics he posted (this may or may not work)

sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

For three grand it doesnt seem like a bad deal. I'd be concerned about the rust areas. You could always grind em down, bondo, and paint or cover up with body armor if its not too bad. As far as buying it, 600 miles isnt too far if you are really interested, but I am sure you can find a better deal.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you're looking at 3k troubles coming your way!
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

Whyfor no?

What do you think is the biggest concern? The high miles, or the amount of work he has had to do to it, or something else completely?

Thanks!

K
sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Well he's done alot of work to it, sounds like the work will continue with change of ownership. I wouldnt commit to buying it without seeing it, and if you dont really want to drive the distance, especially with gas the way it is, I wouldnt bother. If ya keep looking, you'll find a better jeep, for a better deal. And when you do, it'll be worth it
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Impact
1976 CJ5 

Ask if he can produce reciepts showing the purchase of all that he says has been done. Besides the miles. It might be ok.
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
yzman720

pics????????????
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.