Thought it would be a JK, now a change of plans (XJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thought it would be a JK, now a change of plans (XJ)

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
LI99XJ

Thought it would be a JK, now a change of plans (XJ)

I sold my 2007 JK Unlimited 2 years ago to get something more commuter friendly for school (2011 Chevy Cruze Eco). Anyways, I found myself missing the jeep and posted my cruze on swap-a-lease with plans to get a JK. I found someone to take over my lease fairly quickly, but then there was a twist... My apartment flooded forcing the gf and I to move out. Now we are sickened by the idea of renting, so we plan to save for a down payment on a house. So, I decided taking out a loan on a new JK might not be the brightest idea right now. Turns out, my buddy is selling his 1999 Cherokee Sport, stock/clean, with 164k on it for $2500. He's willing to sell it to me for $2000 which sounds like a fair deal to me on a clean xj. I will definitley be putting a small lift on it, and it needs tires anyway so tires too. I figure even though its temporary (still want my jk next year) it will be a fun, cheap alternative to get me through the next year. How does this deal sound? I like the idea of buying from someone i know, even though I think there are better deals to be had on craigslist. I can post pictures later.

LI99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
gunut
2013 JK Wrangler 

2000.....a lift.....aaannndd new tires.....you better go ask your girl friend
gunut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Adam013085

Sounds like a pretty decent deal if it is as clean as you say, plus your friend owned it so you know part of the history of the Jeep.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

$2000 for a 99 with 164k mi on in good shape, it is definately a good deal.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
JrodWebb
2003 WJ 

Are you located in NY? A 2000 Jeep with northern winters might have some frame issues. Usually there's some tell-tale body rust at rockers or door panels to let you know, but it would be worth a flashlight underneath to check the frame rails. I've been looking here in VA for an XJ (wrecked my TJ and tired of getting to the back seat of a Wrangler with the top on) and the going rate is around $4,000 for a decent one with around 150k mileage. The good ones have A/C, CC, and hopefully all power windows work. I've had 4 Jeeps with the 4.0L I6 engine and cannot say a bad thing about it other than gas mileage. At least you can take the tires off and put them on something else in the future, the lift kit may be throw-away $$ - possibly could get 31s to look good with just a body lift.
JrodWebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.