Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Thinking a new JK...but having doubts

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  ctzpanda 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking a new JK...but having doubts UPDATE: Bought a new JK and love it!

Hi All,
I've been thinking about selling my 97 TJ and moving on to an 08 JK. I've been thinking about an X model with auto tranny. I've had a 2000 WJ (Grand Cherokee) in addition to my TJ. So I'm not unfamiliar with Jeeps and their quirks and all that good stuff.

The thing is that I've been reading this forum and now all of a sudden I'm a little worried. The stuff I've been reading about the leaking issues with the freedom top and the soft top along with the denting issues in the doors has me questioning whether this would be a good move. It just seems that by this time, these issues should have been resolved.

So my question is: Am I being too cautious? Are these real problems or just more 'jeep annoyances"? I just don't want to get the new JK and have it in at the dealer on a weekly basis. Lots of trips to the dealer is not good for my blood pressure! :laugh:

#3 ·
These are legitimate concerns, but after many years of Jeeps in the family I have come to the conclusion that they all have quirks. I recently went through the JK fever deal. I passed. I was interested in the 4 door. It was way underpowered and regardless of what the max tq/hp numbers are, the power was simply not in the range where I drive. Its big too. My trail driving is tight enough with an LJ. I am sticking with the LJ and pocketing the $17K difference.

You should figure what you need and go for it. It the new style/new vehicle turns you on and you want to sell in the near future, the JK is going to resell better and give you the new car buzz. If your building for the trail, grab an LJ or TJ and you can mod the he!! out of it and still have a lot of cash left in your pocket. Either way, your going to have a great vehicle... its just where to you want to sign the bottom line...:rtft:

#4 ·
I am the owner of a 2007 4 Dr. Unlimited JK. I traded my 2002 TJ Wrangler Sport. While I have had a problem with my fog lights, the dealership and Chrylser are working to get that fixed. I stayed away from the auto. I find the 6-speed to provide plenty of power and accelleration. I do miss the short turning radius of my sport, but the ride and ability to comfortable carry four people outweigh that. My solution will be when my lease runs out on my fiancee's car, we will buy a used TJ and she can drive the JK..... btw, we are not hard core 4 wheelers, but do enjoy the backroads of the north country with the 4 door.

#5 ·
Good Questions!!

Iowajeep said:
Hi All,
I've been thinking about selling my 97 TJ and moving on to an 08 JK. I've been thinking about an X model with auto tranny. I've had a 2000 WJ (Grand Cherokee) in addition to my TJ. So I'm not unfamiliar with Jeeps and their quirks and all that good stuff.

The thing is that I've been reading this forum and now all of a sudden I'm a little worried. The stuff I've been reading about the leaking issues with the freedom top and the soft top along with the denting issues in the doors has me questioning whether this would be a good move. It just seems that by this time, these issues should have been resolved.

So my question is: Am I being too cautious? Are these real problems or just more 'jeep annoyances"? I just don't want to get the new JK and have it in at the dealer on a weekly basis. Lots of trips to the dealer is not good for my blood pressure! :laugh:
I almost bought new but decided against for now. Too many outstanding issues like low power, poor fuel mileage, electronic ghosts and leaks. I would buy used but they hold their value so well I have found no bargains. I shop online. I hate dealerships. See Edmunds write up on car dealers and sales practices, scary.
The market is full of competition. Someone will come up with what I want, Toyota comes close, Honda could surprise us although GM and Ford are looking more than a little dead. The Koreans and Chinese are innovators.
Be patient, keep looking, the right deal will come along.

R

#6 ·
This is my fisrt post.
I went to the dealer today to listen to his lies, he did not know I had already begun my homework. He told me the markup for instance is only 3 or $400
I guess he thought I would miss the other 1,000.
Ive been thinking of buying a Toyota FJ Crusier over the H3, but I figured I owed to to look into Jeep.
I was thinking of the Rubicon, but now Im thinking I might be better off with just the base model wrangler and buying my own front locker and stuff.
any thoughts?

#7 ·
Good Thinking

foxtrot6 said:
This is my fisrt post.
I went to the dealer today to listen to his lies, he did not know I had already begun my homework. He told me the markup for instance is only 3 or $400
I guess he thought I would miss the other 1,000.
Ive been thinking of buying a Toyota FJ Crusier over the H3, but I figured I owed to to look into Jeep.
I was thinking of the Rubicon, but now Im thinking I might be better off with just the base model wrangler and buying my own front locker and stuff.
any thoughts?
Hi foxtrot6,

The FJ has a terrible blind spot, nice motor and tranny, the H3 is a lot of $ for so little. For the price difference the Wrangler is better than Rubi in my opinion too.
One poster, a dealer, offers $2,000 off MSRP even on base models.
Good luck.

R

#8 ·
I have a 07 2 door X and I love it. I don't feel it is under powered. It gets up and goes even with 3.21 gears. The sheet metal is thin so it will dent easy. I have the softtop and don't have any leaks. The only thing that I'm disappointed with is how easily the interior scratches. With all the complaints on this forum I can understand why people are hesitant. I can't speak for anybody else but it's the best vehicle I ever owned. I posted a thread below and wondering myself what the mass opinion is.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493960

#9 ·
fastRob said:
Hi foxtrot6,

The FJ has a terrible blind spot, nice motor and tranny, the H3 is a lot of $ for so little. For the price difference the Wrangler is better than Rubi in my opinion too.
One poster, a dealer, offers $2,000 off MSRP even on base models.
Good luck.

R
The so called blind spot in the FJ does not concern me as I am very used to driving with my mirrors, but I feel the back seat in it is like sitting in a cave. And your right about the H3, also I think it comes up short under the hood. The H3 Im sure is out of my pickings. Ant idea who the poster is you mentioned? I will look around and try to find them. Thankx

#10 ·
I just bought a 2008 X 4 door 6spd and absolutely love it. I traded my 94 5.2l ZJ in on it and I don't regret it one bit.

As for the problems, well all new cars have problems. It's not uncommon or unheard of so I don't think you should be surprised.

It's all about what you want. I say go for it, but that's only my opinion.

#11 ·
Keep this in mind.

Whether Jeeps or any other product, if you look on a discussion forum, the people who post about a problem will be not necessarily representative. All the thousands that don't have the problem are not likely posting... so don't every think of this as a statistical sample

#13 ·
#14 ·
No leaks here. I love it. No issues here. Once you get used to driving at elevated rpm's, it's a blast. I used to have a 95 YJ with a 4.0L, so it was certainly different getting used to this power band. The 3.8L has no problem revving and that is how it makes power. The 4.0 of my YJ would shake itself apart at these kinds of rpm's. The JK is all around an easier vehicle to live with on a daily basis, especially if it is your primary vehicle. I find it has all the good things I liked about my YJ and none of the things I hated about my YJ. Incidentally, my YJ's soft top leaked horribly. The only way I was able to resolve the leak was to go with a Bestop two piece hard top. My JK has the dual top option and neither top has ever leaked. The only downside I find comparing my 4 door JK to my 95 YJ was the extremely tight turning radius of the YJ was more convenient. That to me is a very minor trade off considering the improved capacity for people as well as cargo. If it would have been a bigger issue for me, I could have opted for the 2 door instead. See my signature. There is already a decent aftermarket for JK accessories.

#18 ·
As someone who traded an '03 TJ Sport in for an '08 JK X umlimited . . . I'd say, keep the TJ.

I like the JK, but I feel more like I'm driving an XJ or a ZJ than a Wrangler. Add to that, the electronics problems and the leaks . . . I was much happier with my TJ.

#19 ·
I have a 97 TJ and a 2007 JK Unlimited. I wheel both and they are both alot of fun. I do, however, prefer my JK though. The wider and longer wheelbase makes for a much more stable stance. Maybe that takes alot of the adventure out of it, but I am ok not flopping a new Jeep. Also, I seem to be able to do things with much more ease than I could do with the TJ. I've only had one experience to date where I would hi-center on an obsticle that a TJ could get across.

Mine has plenty power although I have to regear with my larger tires. I'm happy with my choice so much that the TJ is for sale.

I have had no major issues either. I had a driveshaft (CV joint) issue that was covered but no leaks in my softtop or any of the other issues that have hit some folks.

Just like any other car, problems are a case-by-case basis. Overall, I believe the new Jeeps to be very reliable. How many have you passed stuck on the side of the road? Jeeps in general are not the kind of vehicle to break down and leave you stranded.

#21 · (Edited)
RKCRWLR said:
These are legitimate concerns, but after many years of Jeeps in the family I have come to the conclusion that they all have quirks.
:nono: :nono: :nono:

My 2004 has been perfect, so far. 56K. :thumbsup:

#23 · (Edited)
Well we bought a black, X model JK Wrangler about 2 weeks ago. It has A/C, auto transmission, power package, and freedom top. We had talked to a dealer about 20 miles from here and he didn't have what we wanted at the time. A couple of weeks ago we got a call from him and he had ordered a jeep to our specs so we could come take a look at it. Anyway, we went to look at it and he tossed us the keys and said to take it out for a long drive. Got back to the shop, talked price and ended up buying it. The whole process couldn't have been any easier. It was by far the best car buying process I have had.

Things I like: The JK is wider, longer and much quieter than the 97 TJ. I think the A/C will be nice during the Iowa summer when it's 95 in the shade with 80% humidity. The auto transmission has been great for city driving. I guess I've gotten a little softer as I've gotten older. :)

Regrets: I wish I would have gotten the Sirius. I have XM in my other vehicle so I will probably put an aftermarker XM radio in the Jeep and add it to the account.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.