Thinking of buying Jeep- advice welcome! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thinking of buying Jeep- advice welcome!

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Nolesfan

Thinking of buying Jeep- advice welcome!

Thinking about buying a 98 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Here are specs I know so far....86k original miles, hardtop, straight 6, 7" lift, 35" Mickey Thompsons(new), 9k lb winch, Warn armor bumper to bumper, ARB lockers on front. Rear is run for lockers. Rear axle upgraded to Ford 8.8 to better support 35's. Seller is asking $7,000. No rust. Great paint. AC does not work. Thoughts on this vehicle? Specifically about the lift and 35's. I just have no experience with Jeeps and would like to hear from some of you who know. I know the seller personally and trust him. Thanks in advance for your replies

Nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
rdbs505

Do you know the history of the truck, was it beat on or maintained? Sounds like it has lots of nice features that would otherwise cost lots of money to add. No A/C sucks, esp since you are in bama'. What kind of lift is it?
rdbs505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Figure out what kind of lift it is. Make sure it was done right. Buying an already lifted jeep when done right can be a great thing. But you could just as easily be walking into a death trap. Ask him why he is selling. 7 grand for a 98 around here with that much done to it is unheard of (unless maybe if its got a blown engine or isn't street legal) and it could be different where you are but he may have alternative motives for selling the rig.
Unread 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Man, check out that lift thoroughly! 7" is a huge lift. I would be concerned about handling, stopping and turning. Also this is not something that you would want as a DD cause it has been set up for serious rock climbing and would not be something you would want for street work. Caboose89 was right about the death trap thing. I would be very, very leery. BTW, forget about the AC. I live next door to you state wise, and I don't have an AC. No problem. The top comes off.
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Nolesfan

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will try to answer everyone's questions here. First, there have been two owners. It has been very well maintained. The lift and mods were done by a shop called Wilson Off Road in Fayetteville NC. He's selling because his wife is making him get rid of the toy. He built it for rock climbing and not street riding for sure. I would not be using this as a DD. It would be a weekend toy. I would however be using to travel to my hunting camp which is 30 miles on the interstate.

From everyone's comments and reading several other posts, I'm most concerned with the lift. How could I expect this thing to behave at highway speeds? Like I said, I don't plan to drive it much on the interstate but I do live in a fairly large city, and avoiding highways altogether is nearly impossible.

I'm excited about becoming part of the Jeep community, but want to make sure I make a good decision for my first purchase. Thanks.
Nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would expect some kind of receipt or proof that the work was done there unless you personally know that it was. Ive seen some bad lifts, and I mean a piece of 2x4 bad. So Test drive it. Take it to a mechanic. Have everything aligned. Cycle the suspension and check for binding. A 7" lift is big, but if done right then problems shouldn't arise. Find out what kind of lift it is and do some research on it and look at reviews. Check for any excess wear on bushings and joints. Check the steering setup, many people think stock steering components will do the job no matter what, and that is not the case with a 7" lift. Check the angle of the drag link, the condition of the tie rod, and its joints. As for highway driving it won't necessarily be enjoyable. Its 192 HP pushing 3500 lbs in the shape of a box sitting 2 feet off the ground, It will feel every crack in the road, feel every gust of wind, and find every rut you come across. Its a jeep not a cadillac so don't set your expectations too high. I DD my jeep and many of us here do, so adjusting to the driving characteristics was second nature. If it was done right then snag it and be a happy jeeper! If it was done right then the occasional interstate won't bother it a bit, and you should be well on your way.
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For goodness sake, listen to what Caboose89 is saying. Be very very sure before you buy this.
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Were the brakes upgraded? Steering upgraded? Drop pitman arm? Type of lift? Axle shafts upgraded? SYE? Brand of driveshaft? Axles? Upgraded? Lockers? Regeared? Lots of questions to be answered..... Who did the upgrades and are they reputable?

You don't need 7" of lift to fit 35's
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.