Thinking of buying 1987 wrangler, first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thinking of buying 1987 wrangler, first jeep

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
churchill129

Thinking of buying 1987 wrangler, first jeep

Im looking at buying my first jeep, 1987 wrangler. 4" lift, 33"tires, body in good shape (interior needs work and some tlc). Has some cosmetic issues as far as wiper/turn signal shaft is broken, non matching seats, wipers won't turn on. Comes with a soft top, but he has the hard top (but no doors, he traded those for the soft top). Is that possible to put back on the hard top (easily) with the soft top doors? I took it for a drive, little squirrelly but I imagine that is just the big tires and the small wheel base (since I am new to these beasts). He is asking 2800 for it, with the odometer at 180k (though he says the engine is newer than that,but he has no idea of the mileage). I guess I am just looking for some informative advice here, I live next to the beach (NY), I have another car,as does the wife, but I don't know if this is a good deal or should I steer clear of it.

churchill129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

could be wrong but I dont think they made a 87, one year they did not make any, around 86- 87 but that no big deal. just remember its a 25 year old jeep. if its cranks and moves under its own power, its good, as far as $2800 that proberly on the high side of that year but common price.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
cutngut
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would stay away from the 4.2 with the carb. The have terrible trannys back then also. Get a 91 or newer. IMO
cutngut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
SCBeachbum
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1987 was a good year if you're looking for a project. The 4.2 is a good strong engine but the carb is a little quirkish. The positives far outweigh the negatives. The wiring is simplistic and a lot easier to work on than the 97 that I have now. I would think that 2,800 is a pretty good price if it is in decent mechanical condition. That's just another opinion.

1987 YJ 4.2 0n 33's SOLD

1997 TJ 2.5 On 33's

1998 TJ 4.0 On 35's[/FONT][/B]
SCBeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
churchill129

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not looking for a Project as far as something to keep running, but a project of fixing it up and making it a nice Jeep. I don't expect to drive it everyday, but I want to know that if I have to I will be able to. I keep reading about the carbs being a pain to on the older, so I don't want to be left stranded somewhere. It starts, it runs, no bad noises, I drove it myself, but the guy has only had it a little over a month and knows nothing about it, so it may already have a new tranny or a rebuilt engine, who knows. I'm looking for something to go back and forth to work a few days a week, throw a couple kids in the back and cruise around, take it to the beach, play off road, you know, the fun stuff.

As an update, I just spoke to the guy, he now has the price to $2000. The rims and tires plus the stereo are probably close to that (maybe half). If I can figure out how to post the picture of it I will do that.
Unread 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
churchill129

Good news, at least I figured how to upload a picture of it to the gallery.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Adamf1313
2008 WK 

Churchill129,

Check out this book that will give you a good idea of what it might be worth. I used it when buying my second jeep. You'd be suprised with how certain models hold their value more than others. And, not all sellers know this so you can get a good something for a good price if you search a bit.

Cheers,

http://cf5abvs4w09v4p1hqb89t57z7c.hop.clickbank.net/
Adamf1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Crawl under that rig and search every square inch for rust. 25 years in the rust belt and you could be dealing with a rotten frame or floors.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
churchill129

When I went to see it I looked underneath. He has sprayed some textured rubberized spray underneath and inside. Everything is sealed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.