Thinking About A RHD YJ- Anyone got some insight? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thinking About A RHD YJ- Anyone got some insight?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Thinking About A RHD YJ- Anyone got some insight?

I ran across this YJ for 1500 bucks. I may be able to talk the guy down some more but it needs a little bit of work.

It is an 88 with auto RHD YJ. Its stock and unmolested save for the original owner (postal employee) installed a long ugly floor shifter to bypass the column shift for some reason. The other is a large rear view mirror added to the front fender. The paint is rough but the jeep is was brought to the philly area from area from arizona and is rot free, there is some surface rust here and there. It is also missing the right hand seat but includes the rear seat, the hard top, and had doors.

So the bad. He says that it idles rough and you have to keep your foot in the gas to keep it idling he claims that this is because in needs vac lines, a carb tune, and the tank dropped and cleaned (are these poly or metal tanks?). It will need the brakes completely redone, I guess the rail blew out.... Which makes me concerned that his claim it is rust free might be a little fantastic.... so it needs a new brake line on the frame rail. Its a PITA but these seem like pretty standard issues I am used to dealing with cjs.

My major concern is he mentioned the auto doesnt **** into reverse until the vehicle is warmed up.. I dont know anything about the TF999, is this a normal symptom or will I be looking at needing to rebuild the tranny?

How hard would it be to swap a RHD to manual? Are the pedal brackets the same? Meaning would a LHD pedal assembly for a manual mount up? Did the RHD models with manual have a different bellhousing set up that put the slave on the right side? And did the RHD use a different column or will a lhd column from a manual fit?

Overall is this a decent price for the work needed to get this on the road? I have always wanted the novelty of RHD. I am norally into CJs so I dont have a real basis for the value of yjs. Thanks in advance for the input.

Unread 02-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think the '88's had either the poly or metal. If it's a 15 gallon, it's most likely a metal. If it's a 20 it's a poly. I've heard of either tanks being in the earlier years.

As for the transmission, it seems like it might be low on oil, or the clutches are giving out. Auto transmissions are tricky for me.

Now, I could be wrong but I think for the AX-15's they have a line from the main cylinder (behind the pedal) to the transmission. You could either try to get the LHD line to work, or custom make your own (or even buy the LHD line, if you can find it).
I think everything else is the same. Check a transmission diagram to make sure. [Also, don't settle for the BA-10 or whatever number that came stock in the 4.2L, they are terribly unreliable and weak. Also I believe it has the same bellhousing pattern as the AX-15, so it's a direct swap.]

And dependent on your state [whether or not they have emission tests] you can buy a carter / replacement Carb, and do what they call a 'Nutter Bypass' to remove a lot of the vacuum lines. If you can get it for 1250 [most likely can], you put another 2k into it [Carb+transmission+tune-up], you'll have yourself a running heep.

EDIT:: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52010_010.htm

You obviously don't have to get that one, but it looks like there's some ability to move it around and path it how you want. So, it's doable with LHD stuff.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Oh jeez, I really don't want to have to put 2k into it just to get it going. I'm pretty familiar with the 258 from the cjs and yes the bolt pattern is the same as the 4.0
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Adam013085

If you are not looking to sink anymore $ into it Id pass on this one. Just looking at it its going to need some work. Personally I wouldn't touch it, Id rather spend a bit more on one that is not so rough.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
If you are not looking to sink anymore $ into it Id pass on this one. Just looking at it its going to need some work. Personally I wouldn't touch it, Id rather spend a bit more on one that is not so rough.
Just want to do the bare minimum to get it on the road. Kinda wanted a beater I could putz about in.
Unread 02-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post
Just want to do the bare minimum to get it on the road. Kinda wanted a beater I could putz about in.
You are going to pay a ton to get this "beater" on the road. First of all it was a contract mail delivery vehicle. Mail delivery vehicles get a TON of wear just in daily usage. You don't give the mileage, but I would guess between 250 and 300K miles. Depending on the route, they stop and start every few hundred feet, so the transmission/brake systems are usually completely shot. That is why these things rarely sell for over $1k and then only if you need some of the parts on them.

Forget this money pit.
WDNewman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

X2. You easily spend the purchase price in 'simple' repairs, which means you'll own a $3K jeep worth $2K, right out of the gate...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.