Thinking about buying a jeep for my first car - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Thinking about buying a jeep for my first car

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Cadillric

Thinking about buying a jeep for my first car

I'm a college student and this summer I'm looking to get a jeep wrangler. I've been looking at craigslist most jeeps listed are at 100k+ in mileage and I've come to accept
that. Any advice when it comes to looking at the jeeps. (mechanical signs that the jeep is a junker). Looking at doing a little modding to the jeep I buy to make it more college ready. (Fold and tumble backseat for a little more room to haul stuff in the back, and maybe a frameless soft top if I can get the right year model).

Just looking for input from jeep owners on things I should look for and brands for the mods I'd like to put in it.

Last edited by Cadillric; 06-09-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Cadillric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You're a college student and you don't know the difference between accept and except?

Wow. They sure have changed the requirements for college since I went.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
sean79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Jack, you r mean! Lol
sean79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No, I just speak English.
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
cdsuits

My opinion is to look for a pretty much stock jeep, check the frame/undercarriage for rust, and have someone that knows something about vehicles to look it over mechanically (real mechanic is best) to make sure its in decent mechanical shape. By buying a stock Jeep, it reduces the chances that it was abused off road (It still could have been even if its stock, but its less likely than a modded Jeep). The other upside to buying a stock Jeep is you can build it exactly as you want, and don't have to settle for what someone else liked.
cdsuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the above post, buy it as close to stock as possible. Have a mechanic look at it, even if you have to pay them, its nice to know things up front. Look for signs of abuse, and excessive rust, meaning you can put your finger through it.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Cadillric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
No, I just speak English.
Simple typo thanks for pointing it out, and I never claimed to be a good college student.
Cadillric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal0pe View Post
you're a college student and you don't know the difference between accept and except?

Wow. They sure have changed the requirements for college since i went.
way to be a D-Bag.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I try. It's a gift.
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That and he called a Jeep a car. A Jeep is a Jeep unless you are buying a Compass or Patriot.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuits View Post
My opinion is to look for a pretty much stock jeep, check the frame/undercarriage for rust, and have someone that knows something about vehicles to look it over mechanically (real mechanic is best) to make sure its in decent mechanical shape. By buying a stock Jeep, it reduces the chances that it was abused off road (It still could have been even if its stock, but its less likely than a modded Jeep). The other upside to buying a stock Jeep is you can build it exactly as you want, and don't have to settle for what someone else liked.
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
That and he called a Jeep a car. A Jeep is a Jeep unless you are buying a Compass or Patriot.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying , college , jeep , owner

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.