Are They Truely Expensive?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Are They Truely Expensive??

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
living_rain

Are They Truely Expensive??

So im seeing a lot of the "just empty every penny" phrase, and how jeeps require so much work. Theres two ways i see it, so if someone could correct/enlighten me on this topic as I am still trying to decide if a jeep is for me or not (yj or tj)

I ride downhill mountain bikes, and so my one way of thinking is that when people spend so much on jeeps is because they use em for offroading, ride em hard and stuff and thus, damage and repairs is inevitable. Its part of the hobby/sport.

Or are they actually just that constantly messed up? How can u say that they last forever and are a durable vehicle if its constantly breaking down?

living_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps have a bad rap in that they have always received low marks from rating companies like Consumer Reports. The problems are not usually catastrophic in nature, being a rough idle, etc. After a while (most of time) problems will work themselves out and eventually get fixed. That being said Jeeps are best viewed as recreational vehicles that have the ability to be used as normal transportation also. Old jeeps (YJ TJ) require that the owner know his way around a wrench or have excess money.
Despite any and all problems, owners tend to fall in love with the things as time passes. Usually the complaints you see on the forum are from newbies who were expecting Honda like reliability from a used vehicle and didn't get it. After a few readings of these types of post you also begin to see that many of these people had no idea of what they were getting or what to look for while they were shopping.

Just my two cents.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_rain View Post
So im seeing a lot of the "just empty every penny" phrase, and how jeeps require so much work.

Or are they actually just that constantly messed up? How can u say that they last forever and are a durable vehicle if its constantly breaking down?
It depends on what you do with it and how you drive it. A stock Jeep that isn't wheeled hard can be very reliable and only require standard maintenance (the same as any other vehicle the same age).

If you start modifying things (lifts, bigger tires, armor, etc.) they can get expensive fast (note: mods/upgrades tend to become "addictive", once you start it can be difficult to stop), and if you wheel them hard things will inevitably break (often this becomes an excuse for more "upgrades).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
dahreno

Bought my 2008 JKUR in 2007 , Have had no problems . I wheel the crap out of it . I think "just empty every pocket" comes from morons that don't really have any experience with jeeps , or do no maintenence on them . It may come from how much after market items there are for these gems also . I've probably got 10k in aftermarket junk on mine .
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

when you first buy a jeep, expect to wrench or spend money to fix the jeep like you want it or to fix po's mistake, it happens. after the initial investment of buyin and fixin, if you keep it stock, you should be ok on expenses. if you buy one lifted, hope and pray that the po did it right, otherwise you could be in for fun with tryin to figure out how to undo the jerry riggin. also, if it is lifted already, make sure it is set up like you want it, otherwise you will be better off buyin a stock jeep and gettin it like you want it. if you do a lot of rough ridin in it, it will get expensive fast, otherwise you should be ok.
Nick05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

if you bought a brand new jeep and never did anything but go to store and work, never left the asphalt, never change out the little bitty tires, yea, they would hardly break, they basically good vehicle. but people like to climb trees with them, so they do break, but just like toyota, ford, chevy and all the other vehicle you climb trees with
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Mike1212

It is like everything in life, it can be as expensive as you want to make it. If you are handy with a wrench or at least are willing to learn, it can save you a ton of money. The more you do it the more you learn. There are so many resources online and instructions that are availible that can really help you save hundreds to thousands of dollars. I would agree with a previous post that if you are looking for something, buy stock and add what you feel will be necessary for your individualized needs for going off road. This will get you familiarized with your new purchase and a better understanding of what is going on "under the hood". The bottom line is most custom parts you place on your jeep are going to be expensive for the most part, but it is up to you on how much you spend to maintain your new toy. My advice, don't buy something that is already done. The other person may not have payed enough attention to the details or may have missed something. It is a sketchy world out there and most of the time people are going to lie to you about one thing or another when trying to sell you something. It is more fun to do it yourself and then you learn something about your vehicle and don't have to take it in the the shop and make the noises to the people who are going to rob your wallet to fix it. High Risk, high reward!
Mike1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
living_rain

Ahhkay, seems like what i figured it was. So how hard is it to learn jeep mechanics? Will be able to get a book or start googling and ytubing things to figure out repairs and mods easily enough? I know almost nothing about vehicles right now, but im the kind of person that starts geeking out on a new hobby and then take it all in and learn with my hands.

One reason i want a jeep is the looks. I do plan to spend extra on mods. I wanna lift it and get some sick stuff for it, i just dont wanna be fixing lame broke things more than i would for a normal car of that similar age
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
living_rain

and for some reason i imagine an old jeep is easiee to fix than an old car cus of the larger parts market and jeep community...?
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just about anything you'll ever need to fix on a Jeep can be learned here. I didn't consider myself much of a grease monkey before buying my YJ, but I did most repairs myself, as I have with my current TJ. My YJ was and my TJ is pretty reliable, most of my hands on is doing mods, or fixing something after wheeling...which isn't really all that often.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some advice. Before you buy anything out there, learn ALL you can in here. Finding out what to avoid is much preferred to finding out how to repair the problem. Pick out the model you want, and learn all about it. This will prevent some dude from blowing smoke and selling you unrepairable junk.

Good luck and keep us posted.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
dahreno

Old Jeeps are not always easier to work on , it depends on what you are doing and the availability of the parts . My newer Jeep almost never needs work , my old Jeep , Iv'e dumped tens of thousands of dollars into .I still have alot more money into my JKUR then my 61 Willys , but my Willys costs almost nothing to register , never needs smog , insurance is cheap , and at 500 h/p , one ton axles with 38" tires , it can be a blast to drive ! Oh , I can also walk all over the body and not leave dents !
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

"Speed is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?"

They are a quirky vehicle... but no more expensive than any other car ive owned. They get pricy as you mod or beat on them. So far all the posts above have been excellent advice.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jeeps are a true enigma for many people when it comes to trying to understand "How much do they cost". You can literally spend as much money as you want on accessories and modifications. The real challenge is to spend no more that you have to by understanding what you want from the Jeep in advance of starting modifications. There are a lot of accessory suppliers out there and thousands of products for you to buy, choose wisely. The most expensive mods are the ones you do over and over because you didn't plan or bought junk to do the mods. Doing most of the work yourself will greatly reduce the overall cost of modifications. The bottom line is that you can have a blast with your rig without spending a fortune. Plan and enjoy.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.