Test driving jeep - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bdavid500
  • 1 Post By Jeep25

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
gsmith28

Test driving jeep

I test drove a 2002 jeep wrangler a few days ago and if I decided to buy it would be my first one but I am a little skeptical about it. When I started to go the back half of the jeep felt like it was sliding out of place left to right. The man told me up front the shock on the back driver side was loose and needed replacing. Is this the cause of the shifting or could there be a lot more structural problems with it? He was asking 6800 and it needs a/c recharge, is what he told me, or replacement I am not 100% sure if it will blow cold after the recharge or not but it does work, shocks, and 35 inch offroad tires with 144k miles on it he claims becuase the odometer stopped working at 98k. I was wondering if I could get some input as to whether this is a fair price? It is also lifted I am not exactly sure the height of the lift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2017, 01:41 PM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok couple things to consider,
post #3 of 6 Old 08-27-2017, 02:01 PM
bdavid500
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dang sorry about the above
1. There is a lot that goes into fitting 35's on a jeep properly.
a.) was it regeared? If not the performance will suffer, is the rear axle a D44? If not then you will want to do an axle upgrade, the D35 doesn't take much abuse i.e. bigger tires etc.
b.) can you do your own work? if not then you probably should pass and try to find a stock or mostly stock jeep to start with and without any issues on the day you pick it up.
c.) I doubt the loose shock is causing the issue, could be a lot of different things and if you don't know what you are looking at then pass, at minimum take it to a shop who can evaluate everything about the jeep.
d.) if all the AC needed was a re-charge then why hasn't he already done that and then ask more money for the jeep. AC can be important to some folks depending on where you live and your intentions with the jeep. I would not just assume a re-charge is going to fix the problem.
e.) what is the condition of the rest of the jeep? IF the interior and exterior isn't "amazing" that should be a sign that this jeep isn't too well taken care of and you should pass.
f.) how does that price compare to other jeeps in your area? That is another way to gauge if the price is fair. 6800 for a 2002 is not often seen here in Colorado but in other parts of the country maybe it isn't a bad price.
Good Luck
xXshutterflyXx likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
gsmith28

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm not very mechanically knowledgeable and didn't know that much about the tires and axles. The exterior and interior are not in great shape at all so I'm sure it hasnt been taken care of very well. Again, thanks a lot for the reply you definitely helped me make a decision on this one.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 PM
xXshutterflyXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith28 View Post
I test drove a 2002 jeep wrangler a few days ago and if I decided to buy it would be my first one but I am a little skeptical about it. When I started to go the back half of the jeep felt like it was sliding out of place left to right. The man told me up front the shock on the back driver side was loose and needed replacing. Is this the cause of the shifting or could there be a lot more structural problems with it? He was asking 6800 and it needs a/c recharge, is what he told me, or replacement I am not 100% sure if it will blow cold after the recharge or not but it does work, shocks, and 35 inch offroad tires with 144k miles on it he claims becuase the odometer stopped working at 98k. I was wondering if I could get some input as to whether this is a fair price? It is also lifted I am not exactly sure the height of the lift.

BTW, just my experience but,Its never "just a recharge" always way more involved in that.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Jeep25
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXshutterflyXx View Post
BTW, just my experience but,Its never "just a recharge" always way more involved in that.
Agreed. Otherwise for less than $100 why wouldn't the dealer do it to resolve 1 item on the sale.
xXshutterflyXx likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.