Teenager on a budget... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Teenager on a budget...

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, thanks for the help. I talked to my dad and he will call the insurance guys tomorrow for a quote. Are there any good things you can think of that I should tell him?

Unread 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, some of those thing sound like you are talking about the seller not my dad. My dad knows exactly how much money I have in my savings account, and I am still dependent on him

BTW, I will probably let my dad do the talking. He is a salesman and knows how to deal better than me.
Unread 05-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #18
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Oh, I thought you meant "Are there any good things you can think of that I should tell him (the seller)". Anyway, if you do talk to the seller, those things still apply. I know you are still dependant on your parents, as am I, but what I was trying to say is don't let the seller know that.

Anyway, things you should tell your dad.. hmm. Is there anything he doesn't know about jeeps?
Well he thought they were full time 4WD. I said a lot of things to him that i read here, so he knows that i have researched hopefully.
Unread 05-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We will definitely bring a mechanic with us, and have him take a look at everything. So, hopefully my Dad will believe me when he sees that Wranglers have really low insurance rates.
Unread 05-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My insurance rate is $1800 going up to $1900 because Mass sucks! My jeep was only like $10 more to insure than my 94 f150. My friend was looking at an 02 WRX and insurance on that was $3600 When I bought my jeep I had to borrow $1500 from my dad, he was paid off a month later. My brother who is 4 years older than me got his car from my parents for 3k a year ago and still owes them over $2500! I do not agree with everything THEDIRT say; I do not think that you should always try and negotiate the price. Mine was a steal at $3500 so I just simply paid the asking price. I am only 19 (18 when I bought it) so cash was also tight but I always look at it *** a sign of respect. If it is a very good asking price from a private party I would not haggle, a fair price maybe, and a high price would get a low ball. With a dealer I would negotiate any price. I almost bought a 2000 SE 4 cylinder 5 speed for $5000 but something about it seemed funny so I made a VERY VERY hard decision and walked away. It killed me to do so, but I knew it was the right thing to do. I never went and looked at a jeep with my dad either, only because it never worked in our schedules. Most I looked at on my own, but for 2 of them I took some one (on #7 I took my GF almost got that one but the guy said he would hold it for me and ended up selling it 10 minutes after I got off the phone with him saying I was definitely taking it. Then #10 I took my friend, that was the jeep I bought) I always asked questions that showed I knew jeeps inside and out and that I would not be ripped off.

Those where just my thoughts and experiences from buying a jeep!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

I think he is talking about a dealer if not sorry...

But I don't think I would ever pay sticker price at a dealer since they expect to have to haggle on price and therefore a lot of time build that into the the sticker price. Heck even Saturn haggles a bit.

If it's a private sale that can be true in that you don't want to insult the seller but you could also be a little more diplomatic about it and just say money is tight and is there any room to negotiate. Heck he's going to have his dad there.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is pissing me off. The seller has yet to answer my calls from this morning and my email. I'm scared the Jeep is already sold. You guys know how to tell how long an autotrader ad has been up for?
Unread 05-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

WAIT!!! You have not talked to him at all? If not then it is sold, sorry. I dealt with that way too many times. People are A$$holes and do not take the time to say sorry gone!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550786
Unread 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #24
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was scared of that. I'll wait till tomorrow, and if there is no call back I'll give up.
Unread 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't read all the posts, but I'll add another DO NOT GET A JEEP.

Gas is too expensive
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #26
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY View Post

Gas is too expensive
Thats like telling everyone to sell their Jeeps. Gas is not coming down,,,, is it? This is to also say that 4x4's and SUV's will be worth zero.

I've had full size 4x4's, SUV's, CJ's, sportscars, ghetto cruisers, and motorcycles. The best money I ever spent on a vehicle was on my 98 Cherokee. On long hauls, it gets 22mpg, it can tow a boat, It can go off road, it can get groceries, it takes me to work every day, and looks decent. I'm a Ford guy by nature, but have owned Jeeps for 20 years.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #27
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY View Post

Gas is too expensive
If gas mileage bothered me that much I wouldn't buy one. I understand the price of a jeep and I feel that it is worth it. The car will be a summer and weekend driver. Not a full time DD.
Unread 05-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #28
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
If gas mileage bothered me that much I wouldn't buy one. I understand the price of a jeep and I feel that it is worth it. The car will be a summer and weekend driver. Not a full time DD.
Thats what they all say. When I first got my license my parents gave me a 1994 f-150. It was only to be driven to school and back and anywhere else I wanted to go I was to take my moms car. That lasted all of 10 seconds. Whenever I went some where I took the truck. Trust me it will be your DD

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550786
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
XJRidinHigh
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Also, where do you guys look for buying cars?
Craigslist baby!

Quote:
I would get a Cherokee, but I hate how they look.
If you are using it to mud, whats the matter?

[B]'00 WJ[/B]-Tan
Cocked and Loaded ([B]DD[/B])
XJRidinHigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #30
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJRidinHigh View Post
Craigslist baby!

If you are using it to mud, whats the matter?
It will be a part time driver. Or at least those are my plans. The Elantra will be my DD and the Wrangler would be a weekend and summer job vehicle.

BTW, I think the deal is a no go. I have called the seller several times and he doesn't answer his phone, and his voicemail is full.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.