Teenager on a budget... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Teenager on a budget...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 05-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Teenager on a budget...

So, I'm looking to buy myself a car in the next 6 months. I'm going to try and make around 3K this summer on top of the 3K I have saved up. Let's just say I will have 5K at the end of summer.

What year of wrangler would you guys suggest I buy for the best bang for my buck? I was thinking a 1995 Wrangler with around 100K miles, but I am no mechanic and don't want an old beater that needs work. I don't really care for any power stuff. Power steering, a radio, ABS (optional, my Elantra doesn't have it), a manual transmission, 6 cylinders (optional, but I hate my Elantra's 4 banger), conservative but still bigger than stock tires, and a heater (optional, but my band practices are early in the morning and 35F is cold for us folks from Texas)are the only things I need.

The car will mostly be used for driving to and from school, and the occasional mudding on an old mud trail I found near my house. I want a Jeep just because I hate my Hyundai Elantra and want to be more than 6inches off the ground and not restricted to the nicest of roads.

Thanks for the help, and I hope to be Jeeping by the end of summer

Last edited by PILL; 05-01-2008 at 08:15 PM..
PILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

Unless you have a good flow of cash coming in, I suggest you skip a Jeep with 100k miles on it. Repairs aren't cheap and are common. With gas being nearly 4 bucks a gallon, do you want a vehicle that usually gets gas mileage in the middle teens?
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
Unless you have a good flow of cash coming in, I suggest you skip a Jeep with 100k miles on it. Repairs aren't cheap and are common. With gas being nearly 4 bucks a gallon, do you want a vehicle that usually gets gas mileage in the middle teens?
What Jeep would you suggest then? Should I maybe go on Craigslist and just lowball people till I can get a good deal on a better Jeep?

BTW, I do have a cashflow. I have two jobs.
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would def look into a early tj...they started in 1997. Try to find one with lower miles, with your price range your prob going to be looking at a 4 banger. They are not the fastest things on the road but on the trails they work great. I have one with a 3" lift and 31" tires and it performs fine for my needs. I used to get about 20 miles per gallon but since my speedo is off from the bigger tires i cant tell you what im getting now. But even a stock tj is a very capable jeep.

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

nah..get a 1995 YJ. they are beast's. just dont get the 4 banger like i did. they suck in power....
plus it's hip to be square.
Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It's a tough situation because anything with high mileage is going to need repairs at some point. So you have to budget for that. Another thing to consider is the cost of tires. You can probably get a cheap set of tires for the Elantra for $150, but any kind of truck/SUV/Jeep tires worth anything are going to cost at least $75 a pop, and the price only goes up from there. Heck, my '92 Chevy pickup with 15" stock wheels takes 235/75-R15 tires and I'm lucky to find new, brand name tires for $75 each. I could easily spend $140 per tire for the super premium ones.

I can understand your urge to ditch the Elantra. I have always had the feeling that I didn't want to drive a vehicle that I didn't really appreciate. I'd rather drive a beat up Jeep than most of the newer cars I see on the road. Yes, it's nice to have a reliable and efficient ride, but having some personality is always great too. The trick is to find a balance.
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I can stretch my budget to 6K, but with that there is now way I will be able to get a low mileage 6 cylinder TJ. So 97 up would be a TJ right? BTW, are there any good sites for jeep buying other than Craig's List?

Would something like this be good?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/617490649.html

Keep in mind, I would be buying this 4 months from now at the least. This is just an example.

Last edited by PILL; 05-02-2008 at 12:13 AM..
PILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you even looked at the Cherokee's? they are a TON cheaper and you could get a pretty nice one for your money...
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got my 1999 4 banger TJ with 128,400 miles and I have only had to replace the TPS in 6k miles. It only cost me $3500 also. When it was 35 degrees here I was topless and riding the motorcycle, you are spoiled! I would also look at cherokees like COLLKID said. I was thinking about getting my girlfriend one. They are a lot cheaper and you can get the 6 a lot easier. they are just harder to find in stick, which I agree is a must. I would start looking now and get your parents to loan you the money if you find a wicked good deal now. There are deals out there you just have to be patient I drove 10 jeeps before I bought mine! 1 cj7, 5 95 yj's, and 4 tj's till I bought mine. I wish I had the 6 but for the money difference I will suffer, keeps me out of trouble for speeding anyways

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
XJRidinHigh
2000 WJ 

XJ's all the way!!!

Any Jeep is going to cost lots of money, any car for that matter is. Only difference is, with a Jeep, lots of cheap parts, esp for the XJ's. You need to ask yourself the reason you want a Jeep. I got mine so I could do some good muddin and wheel on some trails. If you just want a DD, then skip the Jeep and stay with the Elantra til you get a job to pay for a second vehicle.

[B]'00 WJ[/B]-Tan
Cocked and Loaded ([B]DD[/B])
XJRidinHigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would get a Cherokee, but I hate how they look. I plan to use the jeep for mudding on the weekends and it will be used during the week on and off. The Elantra will remain my sister's and I will use that to get to school.

Also, where do you guys look for buying cars?

Thanks for all the great help guys.
Unread 05-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So, this would be a good deal right?

I'm just wish the seller said how big the tires are.

Ewww... This is a steal isn't it?

Linky thing you should click
Unread 05-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
If that six cyl is near you, go check it out. NOW!

That is a steal. If you get it though, take the 3" body lift off and replace it with a 1" body lift.
I totally would, but I don't have the money to do it. I simply don't have it, and it's pissing me off.
Unread 05-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to ask my mom for about 2K. Hopefully I can get a mechanic friend to come with me this week if she will help me out.

If she springs for it sweet, but my dad is going to be the problem here. If i can get my mom to smooth talk him im in the clear.
Unread 05-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, how expensive would it be to drop it to a 1" lift?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.