Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Taking off the 4-door hard top vs. 2-door

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  222Doc 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm about to buy my first jeep WOOHOO! I grew up with Jeeps so I'm pretty pumped...

Right now I am looking at the 2014 2-door & 2014 4-door
I got the same price $31,000 for both of them with hard top, side airbags, power convenience, automatic transmission.

BUT my dad owns a 4-door jeep w/a hard top and said that it is really hard to take off the hard top in the 4door vs. 2door. I am a chick and I can barely pickup my 45lb german shepherd with my twig arms so if this is true I'm going to have to go with the 2-door...

Anyone have any insight on this? Is the 2door hard top really THAT much harder than the 4door hard top? I plan on not having the top on my jeep all-summer long and I am for sure going with the hard top.

Thanks for yalls help!!!

#2 ·
They make lifts/hoists to take the top off that may be worth looking into. You will need help taking either top off. Personally if the price and options were the same I would be looking at the 4 door, but I have 2 kids a wife and a dog. Id buy the one you like but don't factor hardtop weight in on what you buy. That is 1 small piece of the puzzle.

#3 ·
Unless you plan on taking the top off and putting to top on multiple times a year (every week or so), I would buy the model that best fits my needs.

I would think that if you only plan a top change a couple of times per year, you could get some help, vs living with a model every day, either oversized or undersized, that does not suit your daily needs.

Also the soft top protects very well. The newer Wranglers (JKs) are the first that pretty much came with a hardtop standard. Many previous Wrangler models run with a soft top or no top year round.

As stated above, there are hoist/lift options to help with a top, and you won't be able to handle a 2dr top by yourself anyway.

I would not let the top be the deciding factor.

#5 ·
Hey guys!

I'm about to buy my first jeep WOOHOO! I grew up with Jeeps so I'm pretty pumped...

Right now I am looking at the 2014 2-door & 2014 4-door
I got the same price $31,000 for both of them with hard top, side airbags, power convenience, automatic transmission.

BUT my dad owns a 4-door jeep w/a hard top and said that it is really hard to take off the hard top in the 4door vs. 2door. I am a chick and I can barely pickup my 45lb german shepherd with my twig arms so if this is true I'm going to have to go with the 2-door...

Anyone have any insight on this? Is the 2door hard top really THAT much harder than the 4door hard top? I plan on not having the top on my jeep all-summer long and I am for sure going with the hard top.

Thanks for yalls help!!!
Jeep actually is a vehicle for fun, if you are single buy 2 door even girlfriend will love that. Four door is a deformed version of JEEP.
Do you know something we don't!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.