Sons first car - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Sons first car

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 07-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
jwhite0514

Sons first car

I am new to the jeep world. Our son just turned 16 and all he wants is a jeep. Of course he wants the big lift and tires but I just think for a 16 year old it may be unsafe. That being said we have found a 1999 wrangler sahara with 31 inch tires. The jeep has a 2 month old re-built engine, new radiator and water pump, and new transmission. It has a soft and hard top and appears, for the age to be in very good condition. The one think I was quite suprised at was how rough it rides. Is this always the case? I thought my land rover rode rough. I from people that are vary familiar with these cars, for 8,500, does this seem like a good deal. The only think that concerns me is the 120,000 miles on it. Unfortunately we are very price sensitive so you have to be flexible I guess. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

jwhite0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

First yes the ride is not going to be good, this can be helped with better shocks and other suspension components but it will never ride like your Land Rover. The price with a new engine and transmission would not scare me (check in your area for reference, Jeep's sell for very different prices through out the country) but one thing that would give me pause is why both had to be rebuilt. The 4.0 is a bomb proof engine as long as you change the oil, they will often time go well over 200k. So to hear that both needed to be rebuilt I would be concerned that other care has not been taken with the transfer case, axles and other areas.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
jwhite0514

Thank you for your quick reply. Apperantly the owners son was driving back to college and a rod was thrown and the engine was replaced. I have never thrown a rod so I am not sure what would cause that. Not sure about the transmission though. I did ask the person that installed the engine if he would purchase the car and he said he would that mechanically the car is in good condition. Unfortunately I have heard that before which always gives me reservation. From the price it seems these cars are all over the place. I guess it depends and what has been done to them.
jwhite0514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

New drivers and Jeeps

Short wheelbase vehicles with high ground clearance and resulting high centers of gravity are not the best vehicles for new or inexperienced drivers. Especially male drivers. This Jeep may not be that fast like a Mustang GT or Camaro SS but the short wheelbase and high ground clearance create handling issues that novice drivers may have problems with.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Short wheelbase vehicles with high ground clearance and resulting high centers of gravity are not the best vehicles for new or inexperienced drivers. Especially male drivers. This Jeep may not be that fast like a Mustang GT or Camaro SS but the short wheelbase and high ground clearance create handling issues that novice drivers may have problems with.
Although I do not disagree with you my own personal experience was very different. My first "car" was a JeepCJ7 with a 350 V-8 that could HAUL, it also had 32" tires and was BRIGHT RED (I still miss her ) but with that said I drove that thing like a baby, I did not want anything to happen to her. Still to this day I drive my Jeep far more carefully than I do any other car that I have owned. Everyone is a bit different though..
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Adam013085

The jeep will always be rough, bad MPG too. I also would be a bit concerned with the engine and tranny being rebuilt so soon. 126k on a wrangler is just broken in. Could mean the previous owner didnt take care of it or do any maintenance, or it could be a fluke. Look for rust too. Rust will eat jeeps alive. The price is a little high but not too bad. If you could get it for around $7k you would be doing good. I would still be a bit leary of the engine and tranny rebuilding.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
AppStateTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My first car was a YJ with a 2.5l 4 cylinder. I hated having a 4 banger but looking back I'm very thankful I had a slow Jeep to keep me in check. Maybe look at 4 cylinder. They are cheaper too, but wheel like a beast.

I would also be concerned about a rebuild on a 4.0 with 136k on it, just my opinion.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.