Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

son wants a wrangler sport

3K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  MissMurder 
#1 ·
My soon to be 16 yr old son wants a wrangler sport for his first vehicle. We live in michigan so wants 4x4 for winter (serious snowboarder & hockey player) and a "cool" vehicle for summer. He's a hands-on guy and would want to work on it himself. So wrangler owners...would you recommend it? softtop or hardtop? must have options? regrets? He thinks he's done his research and says he wants a 1997 - 2002 wrangler sport with straight six, automatic, full metal doors and a hardtop that he plans on taking off in the summer. What do you thinK? Any knowledgeable info from wrangler owners past or present would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
It seems to me that a Cherokee might better suit his needs. Wranglers have very little interior space for snowboards, etc. and the short wheelbase makes them a little squirrely in slippery conditions. I'm not saying a TJ would be bad for him, just that something else might be a little better. But if he really wants a Wrangler, I see no good reason why he shouldn't have it.

#4 ·
I assume the xj is a cherokee??? jeep newbie here...is that even available in 2-door version? and do doors and top come off for summer? Size of wrangler isn't a concern. I know it'll hold a hockey bag and sticks even if it means folding the bench down, and we're used to a tight squeeze on the way to games as my only vehicle is a mustang (I know...rear-wheel drive sports car as only vehicle...nutz for a michigander...lol)

#5 ·

I'd say go for it.
But he must learn that the greatest majority of TJs don't have ABS and other "driver's aids."

My son had a 95 YJ for three years before not needing any vehicle anymore (i.e. joined the Air Force).
He didn't let anyone drive it as he knew the Wrangler has to be learned; especially the YJ (95 and earlier). He parked outside all year round with no starting problems. He had a soft-top and he claimed he never was cold - they have good heaters.

Hard tops can be a hassle as you have to store them during the summer; stored where something doesn't decide to make it a home during the warm months. If the right Wrangler comes along and it's a soft top, I'd go ahead with it. Worst case, you can add one later on.

#6 ·
The XJ is available in a 2 door model, yes on the doors coming off in the summer, but no to the top coming off. I think if he wants a wrangler you he should be fine. The backseat comes out really easy, so hauling stuff around will not be a problem, yes the short wheel base on a wrangler will be harder to handle in the snow/ice/ etc...But if he is responsible then he will be able to learn how to drive it in the snow.

#8 ·
thanks for the info so far. While a soft top would be nice in the summer, his preference for a hardtop comes from the fact that he's worried about security/theft of items from inside of vehicle while parked at school, practice, etc. Anything unique we should be looking at when viewing a used jeep/wrangler as opposed to any other used vehicle? any quirks?

#9 ·
As some one who has had both a XJ and a TJ, if he wants a TJ he will not be happy with a XJ... I know I wasn't. I would lean towards hunting a jeep down that comes with both hard and soft top. If you cant find it, I would say get the Hard Top, and by a softop after the fact. I would also recomend the full hard doors. I bought my TJ with a soft top and half hard doors, and its been my only regret, I bought full hard doors and a hard top in the end.

Also where he likes to work on cars, the TJ or XJ are an excelent choice, both of mine where easy to work on.... except for doing shocks... I always manage to break off the bolt heads.

#14 ·
And as you buy him his wrangler, dont for get the accessory that keeps on giveing... a lifetime membership to Jeep forum. :laugh:

#15 ·
Well, he bought himself a jeep! He located a Wrangler with the features he wanted and after a four hour drive to see it...fell in love at first sight. Its a 1998 Wrangler Sport, Black, Auto, straight 6, full doors, hardtop, clean carfax. Looks beautiful but lots of miles....134,000. Everything seems fine on it (knock on wood) but the steering feels really lose and wobbly to me....not sure if that's just how a wrangler drives...or if it's a steering/suspension problem....or wind effect (doubt this one)...or a combination of all three. But whatever it is I hope it's a cheap repair cos its already in the driveway, and his bank account and piggybank are now empty.

#17 ·
If you are used to a longer vehicel, your mustang for instance, a jeep will feel really twitch to you. The way a Jeep wrangler rides is quite unique to its self due to its higher stance, and short wheel base. but so long as you keep good tires on them and dont drive them like your mustang, it will stay on the rd. I've never even spun mine... course ive never drivin MINE in the winter... never spun any of my buddies who i have driven in the winter.

Hell love that jeep, Now get him on JF... and POST SOME PICS!!! we are a very visual crowd.

#18 ·
YAY! A new driver. Now be a nice daddy and buy him a membership to the site so he can educate himself and have a blast with the rest of us! We wanna see some pics!

#19 ·
.. Now be a nice daddy...
Now, now, Angel. KazzyK is female per her profile.

As posted, the steering feedback and feel is totally different from just about any other vehicle out there. As long as there isn't any of that death wobble (which would have been noticed right away), it probably isn't a major issue but should be looked at.

Yeah, higher than normal mileage but that isn't a bad sign. Probably more highway and commute mileage that doesn't really add wear and tear to a Wrangler.

#21 ·
first off since you are "mechanically challenged" maybe you should have jumped the gun on the first jeep you saw.

a swaybar is just that, a bar that reduces the sway of the vehicle. on your TJ there are swaybars that are recommended to be on both front and rear while driving on road. No its not that bad as far as cost goes as you can go find one at a JY.

-Kyle

#22 ·
Looks like im in a bit late but I too saved for and bought my own 2000 wrangler at age 16. Best decision ive ever made. Dont worry if there are a few problems. Read the forums and youll both learn a ton. Jeeps are real easy to work on

#24 ·
Latest update: It is a "broken sway bar link". This is the first Wrangler our hgh school autoshop has ever had in there to look at. They were excited to see it and went over it from bumper to bumper during a two hour class period. They are offering to fix it there and only charge for parts...about $25 each for two links. Instructor said it is a sound vehicle with appropriate wear and tear for age but has alot of rust underneath due to ten years on roads with winter & salt. Only other immediate problem seen was the "rubber boots that hold the grease" are dried, cracked and split and will need replacing. I am so relieved...looks like he got a decent vehicle, afterall.

Yes, he does want a soft top for it. That is the only thing slightly strange about the vehicle...I noticed the hardtop does not have rear wiper and defogger, so looked a little closer at it. The hard top is not original jeep part. It is a Steel Horse hard top from a company in Compton, CA. But there was no soft top with it. Am I right in thinking this means he needs to install all the hardward to accept a soft top? Is there a way to determine what kind of top the vehicle came with originally?

Thanks so much for all your help and information thus far.

Karan

#25 ·
Latest update: It is a "broken sway bar link". This is the first Wrangler our hgh school autoshop has ever had in there to look at. They were excited to see it and went over it from bumper to bumper during a two hour class period. They are offering to fix it there and only charge for parts...about $25 each for two links. Instructor said it is a sound vehicle with appropriate wear and tear for age but has alot of rust underneath due to ten years on roads with winter & salt. Only other immediate problem seen was the "rubber boots that hold the grease" are dried, cracked and split and will need replacing. I am so relieved...looks like he got a decent vehicle, afterall.

Yes, he does want a soft top for it. That is the only thing slightly strange about the vehicle...I noticed the hardtop does not have rear wiper and defogger, so looked a little closer at it. The hard top is not original jeep part. It is a Steel Horse hard top from a company in Compton, CA. But there was no soft top with it. Am I right in thinking this means he needs to install all the hardward to accept a soft top? Is there a way to determine what kind of top the vehicle came with originally?

Thanks so much for all your help and information thus far.

Karan
Sway bar links are no big deal to replace, so that is better than a broken sway bar.

When I bought my Jeep, it too had a steel horse hard top. Has held up alright. As for a soft top, he will probably need to purchase hardware for the top also. There are a few options for a soft top: A new OEM soft-top and hardware from a Jeep dealership, probably the most expensive, but best quality, 2nd a Bestop Supertop -- very good quality, but expensive, 3rd you could buy a used soft-top. A new soft top will run about $500, possibly more. I would suggest looking on the forums for a used soft top for sale, it will be the least expensive way to get a softop. Having only a hardtop, I purchased a used soft top for about 1/3 the price of a new one, and it was in good condition, just normal wear and tear. Since I am sure your son will have the hardtop on most of the time, being in Michigan, there probably isn't much reason to buy a complete new soft top if it will only be on for a few months. (correct me if I'm wrong). I swap back to my hardtop for winter, then soft-top once it gets warmer. I've been very happy with my Jeep as my first vehicle, as I am sure your son will be :2thumbsup:

#26 ·
I bought my Jeep with an only an aftermarket hardtop also. I bought a soft top and frame for $400 in the Classifieds section. A factory soft top from any '97-'06 will work just fine. The frame attaches to brackets on the roll bar with 4 Torx head screws. They made a minor change in '03 (I think it was in '03) to the soft top. They changed the zipper on one of the rear windows so that the zipper is on the soft top on both sides of the Jeep making it MUCH easier to get the zipper started. This would only be an issue if you replace the rear windows, so just be aware of the difference.

Look around for a top near you, because shipping a soft top frame is next to impossible. Someone will have one for sale sooner or later near you...just look around. If you would consider an aftermarket top, Besttop sells a complete soft top and frame called the Supertop (http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=2 ) (PN 51713). Quadratec has them listed as $605 and are on sale right now for $544.49. The factory soft top kit from Chrysler lists for over $1100. Tinted soft top windows are a good option to consider. Best top now offers a soft top where the part over the driver/passenger folds back like a sunroof, called the Sunraider (http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=1). They also have a Halftop that makes the Jeep kind of like a truck cab (http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=7). There are so many products available for the Wrangler that you will have several options. Call Quadratec and ask for a catalog. The catalog is free and you can see all the options you have available to you.

One word of warning...Jeeps are VERY addictive. Driving without the top and doors int the summer is awesome. Jeeps will also amaze you at what they can do and where they can go. I would recommend getting with a local Jeep club and go find some trails. Jeep Jamboree has trail rides all over the country. You can choose the trail level you want. Its a great place to meet other Jeep owners and you'll learn tons about your Jeep. You will also have a blast! www.jeepjamboreeusa.com There's a Jamboree June 13-15 at Drummond Island Michigan...not sure if that's near you or not.

The most important thing is that he enjoys his new Jeep. It can also give you an opportunity to have one more thing in common with your son.:2thumbsup:

#27 ·
The rust is easy to deal with as well, your son, or the auto shop can lightly and it down, and apply a coat or two of por-15 to it (google it if you dont know what it is) and then apply 3M undercoat over that and it will be reasonably bullet proof for years to come.

#30 ·
Same as my jeep when i bought it... except for the hard doors and hard top, Nice Find! :D

BTW, Like the pink and flowers...:laugh::kiss:

#31 ·
Jeep 97 TJ - not sure on tire size....says LT235R15 104/101 on tire. My stang has 9.5 wide low profile tires (on sweet 17 in. chrome cobra wheels...woo...hoo...) ...the tires on his wrangler don't look as wide. The tires look fairly new and have plenty of tread left.

Bartlanz - Hey...no ragging on my pink flowers! I'm so sick of winter here in michigan...too much snow this year...can't wait til spring when the flowers start blooming and I can cruise around with my sunroof open.

putting a pic of broken sway bar link on my site too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.