Soft top or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Soft top or no?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
JKRubicon12

Soft top or no?

Hey there! New to the forum, I just got a 2012 4Dr Rubicon, it came with the hard top and soft top with the windows and doors. Just looking to get advice on whether to keep the soft top with the windows and doors (they are unused). I don't see myself ever using them but maybe it's one of those things you wish you had later on. Any advice would help,thanks!

JKRubicon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Driving a Wrangler with the top down or off, is a totally different experience. For some it's a great feeling, for others, including my wife, they hate it.

While the hardtop can be removed for a topless drive, it is not something you want to be doing, top on/top off, on a day to day basis, rather a season to season basis.

If you are part of the "hate it" group, there is no point in keeping the soft top. Sell it on CraigsList.

But, if you are one that enjoys the topless experience, keep it. Understand that hardtop storage creates a challenge for most people.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know where you live. If it is in the southwest or southeast, by all means keep the soft top. I don't even own a hardtop on mine. My soft top comes off in May and stays off through October and I just use a Bikini top to keep the sun off. Winter comes, full soft top goes back on.
Getting rid of the soft top takes away at least half of the fun of owning a Jeep.
Then again if you live up north you need the hard top.

Your Jeep, your choice.
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
Don't know where you live. If it is in the southwest or southeast, by all means keep the soft top. I don't even own a hardtop on mine. My soft top comes off in May and stays off through October and I just use a Bikini top to keep the sun off. Winter comes, full soft top goes back on.
Getting rid of the soft top takes away at least half of the fun of owning a Jeep.
Then again if you live up north you need the hard top.

Your Jeep, your choice.
I live in Texas and totally remove my soft top and just run with a bikini. But I pass many Wranglers with hard top on, windows up and AC blaring. And there are many in the North without a top, and then again, like the experience.

Where people live may not change there personality. You either like the ability to go topless or you don't.
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Adam013085

If the Jeep is your DD I would keep the soft top if you plan to go topless in the summer. If it is an extra vehicle or have an extra vehicle to drive in the rain and you have a place to park your jeep when it rains then no need for a soft top IMO. That is going to be my plan when I get back into the Jeep saddle.... some day..... I hope....
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
JKRubicon12

Thanks for the advice guys! I live in Florida right now but I'm moving to North Carolina in the next few months. I wouldn't say I hate it but I don't like the way the soft top even looks lol. If I were to sell it what price should I have on it?
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Selling something is easy. I always list on CraigsList, and start with how much I want/think it's worth. If I get that, I am happy.

Remember, something's value is what a willing seller/buyer agree on.

If it does not sell at your listed price, you can lower the price, or extend the listing, or not settle for anything less and keep it.

If you have no idea of where to start, check CriagsList and search Wrangler Soft tops. This will tell you what other sellers think their top is worth. You can even see what date they listed them.
Unread 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
JKRubicon12

That sounds like a Damn good idea thanks!
It's nice to have advice, makes my decision making easier lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.