So, When You Guys Buy TJs, Do You Haggle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > So, When You Guys Buy TJs, Do You Haggle?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So, When You Guys Buy TJs, Do You Haggle?

I'm looking to get a 97-00 era TJ Sport but have been flabbergasted by the insane prices on used Jeeps in my area. I was wondering if its standard etiquette for the selling party to jack their price way up (in some cases 3 to 4 thousand over KBB and NADA values) then expect the perspective buyers to haggle their asking price down to a fair cost? I mean, are people really paying $9000 for a 10 year old stock Jeep with 100,000+ miles? I'm sort of curious as to what the rest of you are paying , or expect to pay for said jeep with 90 to 100k miles? Thanks for the input.

01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
JohnAxis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i just got a 2002 tj for $14,500 with 45,000 on it and all stock 4cly 5spd hard top look at my build thread for stock and now.
There is an Army private and an marine taking a piss the marine walk toward the door while the private heads for the sink. The private remarks, "Donít they teach you to wash your hands after taking a piss?"
The marine simply replies, "Nope, they teach us not to get piss on our hands."

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4829295#post4829295"]My Build thred[/URL]
JohnAxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yet another joy of lliving in that winter wonderland....

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Farrar
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got my 01 sahara at 30k miles. If I remember right I think I talked them down to 15000 from 17500.
Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
CarlL

It's up to you to get the best deal you can get. The key is to do your homework. Look at other similar jeeps and their prices. Look at KBB. Look at want ads and newspaper ads. Use all of that to negotiate a better price. The seller often wants to sell as much as you want to buy. Negotiate!
CarlL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
ShinySideUp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you should expect to haggle - even if they post "No Bull Prices." Do a TON of research, and most important, be willing to walk away and buy another day.

I had my heart set on a beautiful 03 Sport that looked like a Willys Edition without the stickers. The price was close to right, but when i took it for a test drive, I "discovered" that it stalled every time I stepped on the clutch, and when it did run, second gear synchro was shot.

The seller (independent roadside dealer) offered to fix the problems without raising the price, but I walked away. A week later, I got an 04 sport that was just what i wanted (except for the trailer hitch, which I added with a custom bumper) for a price that was right for me.

Is there a "[B]Black Jeep [/B]Club?"

[URL="http://www.militaryjeepers.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]militaryjeepers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] [SIZE="4"]club member #254[/SIZE]

Unread 04-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
jawrider

1998 TJ SE , bought last fall, 50,000 miles, soft and hard tops,stock
Asking price $8500, paid $7500
jawrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
jdw999
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got my '05 TJ Rocky Mountain with 45k for $13,500 with 5 brand new BFG All Terrains.

Oh, but I sell at the dealership that I bought it from.

jdw999

"Default Jeepers" #69
jdw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Yesfan70
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post

and most important, be willing to walk away and buy another day.....

I agree 100%. A few years ago I looked at a 2001 Sport. It was Patriot Blue and it drove perfect, but at the time I just didn't feel good about the transaction. Everything looked good, but I just had this feeling in the back of my mind that something wasn't right so I passed.

I kept my Pathfinder for a few more years before making the mistake on my next vehicle, a 1999 Land Rover Discovery II. I love this thing and even though I might have had the same kind of feeling as I did with the 01 Sport, I caved and got it. After owning it for two years, I realized this thing was nothing but a money pit. I love Land Rovers, but I will never buy another one. That thing went through ABS sensors faster than a hooker on crack.

I hated to trade it in as I knew I would get next to nothing for it, but at the same time I knew I would feel guilty selling it to someone else as they would be screwed with this thing. So I traded it in for my 05 Sport. It looked identical to the 01 a few years back, but I got dual tops and (later on) dual doors.

If you ever get in a situation where your instincts tell you to walk away, do so. It will pay off in the end and you will thank yourself for it, believe me.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

Heh heh, the only place I've EVER seen that doesn't haggle are Saturn dealers and they will haggle if they want to sell you something. We got $1000 off their asking price on our first. Granted on our second all I could get were floor mats...... some deal. With the market as bad as it is I don't think any dealer will try and sell for full pop unless the buyer is a chump.

Any other car dealer we have always had the priced reduced from 'sticker' granted be careful as they will try and make back some of their price reduction on 'extras' such as financing, undercoating, extended warranty or lower trade in value.

The only trick is to do your homework first, read Consumers Reports though I don't always agree with what they say they publish dealer costs (though being skeptical I don't know if these are 100% accurate but worth knowing) as well as option costs. I also do a lot of googling.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
TampaJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Definitely haggle!

I have a friend who owns a car dealership, and once had a conversation on him on this subject. One interesting thing he told me about the KBB is that it is not always accurate. It estimates prices based on age, miles, condition.... but it does not take onto account local demand for the product. Unfortunately, this additional factor most often affects vehicles like Jeeps that really don't have other compitition. So if you live in a market where there is a high demand, prices might be above KBB.
TampaJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
kdmeyer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wait for gas to hit $4 a gallon. Prices will come down.

On a more practical note, the condition of the vehicle makes a big difference in the value. I paid $7995 on Oct 2006 for my 97 TJ 4cyl/5sp with 52,000 original miles and hard top. At the time that looked like a good price. Within three months I had put another $2,000 into the Jeep. Front axle U-joints, cracked manifold, sway bar links, aftermarket soft top stowed in back which I did not realize was incomplete, blah, blah, blah. Still, overall I probably came out ok on the deal. Certainly I know a lot more about Jeeps now than I did then.

Last edited by kdmeyer; 04-19-2008 at 08:19 PM..
kdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did not haggle the price on mine it was a steel. But What I learned was to not pay the asking price unless it is a good deal. If you try to negotiate the worst they can say is no. I got most jeeps I looked at down a couple hundred then did not buy. But once you find the right one it will be a good deal. One jeep I liked from a dealer he told me the price was negotiable so I told him what i was willing to pay and he said no. I left he calls me on my way home and says he will do that price but I have to pay a $150 title fee or something, I told him absolutely not. He calls me at work that night asking if I would pay have that price I refused he said he would sell for the price I originally said. I said NO.

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
GotJeeps
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Last June I bought my 2004 Rubicon with 51000 miles and 5 brand new tires for $15,500. The dealer had it a while and he drove it back and forth to work for about 1000 miles. He then bought an 2005 because he liked the dark green better. He told me he has better luck selling other TJ packages than he does the Rubicon. He said that most people who want a Jeep just want a Jeep. They don't seem to be interested in paying the extra money for the Rubicon. He told me that if I wanted the Jeep he would let me have it for what he would expect to get for it at auction $15,500. It would save him the time of taking it to the auction and paying the auction comisson. I went home and checked out a bunch of site, kbb.com, nada.com, autotrader.com, etc... Everywhere I looked made $15,500 sound like a really good price so I picked it up.
GotJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
Kono
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just bought my 97 TJ for $3500.00 . 5 spd 4cyl. 106000 miles. Right place at the right time i guess. Just starting to make a list of Mod's...cha-ching!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.