Should I go to buy this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Should I go to buy this?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
nclark
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Should I go to buy this?

Ive been cruising Jeep Forum for some time while looking for an inexpensive jeep being as how I dont have much money being a student and having a truck thats constantly needing repair. This morning I came across an older TJ thats about 2 hours away from where I live but seems questionable, it has bedliner as paint which would seem cool and has expired California plates and will be sold with bill of sale, the craigslist ad doesnt include if its a 2.5 or 4.0 or how many miles or transmission being standard or automatic and for 3000 dollars it seems questionable heres the ad link http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3113450310.html does this seem like a spam? if I can get a hold of them should I go to look at it or is that a waste of gas at 12mpg highway? Thanks for your time!

nclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
nclark
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also found a 1990 YJ for 2750 with a 4.0 and manual transmission with 100,000 miles the guy says but needs a new yoke. Heres the link http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/3147222283.html
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

dont buy anything without a clear title, yes everybody will say bill of sale all you need. but if somebody else can produce a title, they can walk away with your jeep and nothing you can do about it. everything you done belong to him. so in today age, if it doesnt have a title, dont even look at it. its easy for the owner go down to DMV and get another one.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You know the differences between a tj and a yj? Also realize most people truly regret buying the low ouput 2.5.

I don't know much about buying a road worthy vehicle with a bill of sale either. Call your dmv or sos and find out the details before doing that.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
nclark
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
You know the differences between a tj and a yj? Also realize most people truly regret buying the low ouput 2.5.

I don't know much about buying a road worthy vehicle with a bill of sale either. Call your dmv or sos and find out the details before doing that.
I know enough to tell the two apart haha
I relize Ive heard about the 2.5 not having enough power and I would like to continue using highways. Thats why I also posted the 1990 red YJ because it does have a 4.0 but I was wondering if it can drive with out a yoke or if its worth being looked at
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
nclark
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
dont buy anything without a clear title, yes everybody will say bill of sale all you need. but if somebody else can produce a title, they can walk away with your jeep and nothing you can do about it. everything you done belong to him. so in today age, if it doesnt have a title, dont even look at it. its easy for the owner go down to DMV and get another one.
Thanks! that makes sense I didnt know that they would just be able to take it back and that definitely doesnt make me want to buy it if it is so easy for this guy to get a title.
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclark View Post
I know enough to tell the two apart haha
I relize Ive heard about the 2.5 not having enough power and I would like to continue using highways. Thats why I also posted the 1990 red YJ because it does have a 4.0 but I was wondering if it can drive with out a yoke or if its worth being looked at
Depends on what they mean by yoke. Id say probably not.

This is my take on TJs and YJs. Aside from the headlights, they are pretty much the same. I would only DD a YJ if i could find one with lower miles and a clean body/frame (hard to do around here). IMO they are more easily modified for less money (bastard packs for example). But they dont ride as nice as a TJ, they are not as trimmed out as a TJ and they are older.

Either way i would hold out for a 4.0. 100 more ft lbs of tq and you get the same MPG's. Im not even certain the 2.5 should be considered.
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
nclark
2005 TJ Wrangler 

would 100000 miles be considered low on a 4.0? I may go check out the frame and body this week.
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The 1990 YJ you posted wouldn't have a 4.0 from the factory. The original engine is the 4.2 with a carburetor a significantly less horsepower than the 4.2. Its still a great engine but if you do not like dealing with a carb then you should look for something else.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

He's right, I'm rusty...didn't even catch that.

100000 is just broken in for a 4.0. The problem will be the frame. They built a half million mile motor and a 100000 mile frame. Google image search yj frame rust holes. That should give you an idea of what parts of the frame to inspect.

The worst parts are the rear shackle mounts on the frame, skid plate mounts and steering ger box section....but other sections can crap out. Take a screw driver, gloves, cardboard to lay on and goggles. I did when I was yj shoppin.
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
txgirl06
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would definitely ask for more info before driving out there. If the owner can't answer your questions and starts demanding lots of info from you, then I'd say it's a scam.
txgirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.