Should I buy a 1982 Jeep Wagoneer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Should I buy a 1982 Jeep Wagoneer?

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
kittytibsen

Should I buy a 1982 Jeep Wagoneer?

I also recently saw this ad:

"RARE JEEP 4 SPEED 258 STRAIGHT 6 sell or trade - $3750 (Kitsap) I have a very rare 1982 AMC Jeep Wagoneer it has a factory straight 6 with a 4 speed manual trans. and part time 4x4 with Warn hubs not the Quadratrac it is a Dana 44 front, and it gets 18-20 mpg, only 128k orig. miles and runs and drives perfect you could jump in and drive it to Montana if you wanted to. If you want more information on this Jeep please call I have a hard time getting back to emails. Thanks Rick Please dont try and lowball me! This Jeep is worth every penny it has no rust and is very straight and I have yet to find another factory 6cyl/4speed in the whole country theres just none left. Call me lets deal. THIS JEEP IS AWSOME IN THE SNOW NO TIRE CHAINS NEEDED! NADA classic cars values it at $14,545 in good condition so I think the price is very fair."

My first vehicle ever, that I bought for 500 dollars when I was 16 and sold when I was 23, was a 1972 Jeep wagoneer three on the tree that I LOVED. This jeep is tempting to me because of that and because Jeeps are easy to work on.... but I wonder: Would it be reliable? Would it really get 18-20 mpg? Could it hold enough weight? Is it worth the price he is asking or would it be fair to offer less?

More information: I recently started a beekeeping business and I need a 4x4.

I also need it to be able to carry some weight (I'm not sure exactly how much, but let's say 1000 lbs. I want the most reliable vehicle I can get for my budget (2000-4000). I also hope that it is something that doesn't break the bank to repair (ie no rare parts). I prefer manual transmission and manual windows/locks etc. A flatbed would be ideal but I'm not set on that. Probably a v6 or i6 for a balance of power and gas mileage.

Other vehicles I am considering:

I am thinking maybe something like a Mitsubishi Mighty Max

Or a Toyota Tacoma

Does anyone have any advice about this jeep or of vehicles to look for and to avoid?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by kittytibsen; 12-31-2011 at 10:34 AM..
kittytibsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It could be reliable; the I6 has been made in various forms for a very long time, and is known for its' reliability. Parts aren't terribly difficult to find; body panels may be difficult to find if they need replacing. But also keep in mind, it's a 30 year old vehicle, so keep your expectations in line with that. 18-20 MPG seems optimistic to me from a vehicle that big with the I6. 1000 lbs payload should be no problem for it.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
awmiller
1995 ZJ 

in my opinion (i lean more on the pessimistic side of things) this ad seems like its trying to pray on buyer ignorance, first wagoneers weight A LOT! no way a 30 year old inline 6 would get that milage on that car unless it was going down hill on the highway for a tank. the 4-speed trans maybe rare, dont know much on JGW history, i knew a good bit around that time had automatic with 360 V8s.

price wise as a collector this jeep could be a great buy, but if you need it for work, I'm going to say no just for the age not something you really want to risk, a V8 grand cherokee would be your best bet for price and performance jeep wise, tacoma would be good, you can find plenty of 90s model Z71s in that price range also
awmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.