Should I buy (09 Wrangler Unlimited)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Should I buy (09 Wrangler Unlimited)?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Should I buy (09 Wrangler Unlimited)?

Own and mostly love a 99TJ. Thinking about paring down from 2 to 1 vehicles, and after test driving a 09 X Unlimited yesterday I think it would be a suitable vehicle in most regards. I really quite liked it honestly. We love the 99 we have, but it's not suitable for us as a daily use car, just a summer cruiser and winter bad weather vehicle... the Unlimited addresses it all seemingly and we are definately wanting to economize and save a cary payment and insurance premium, put the money into savings or what not.

My concerns:

Soft top vs Hard. I'm leaning soft after driving it. It's much quiter than my TJ hard top is and woudl fit our lifestyle, but I worry about durrability (we would be the kind to be putting up and down a bit during summer) and security.

Mileage is a minor issue... we only drive 7K miles a year in mixed driving, give or take a grand or so in miles, but 19mpg is pretty low.

So far my experience at Buhler and World has been less than palatable. From crazy low ball trade offers to Buhler just yesterday not offering EPP or accepting current offers like the owner loyalty money, I dunno.

Chrysler might just go under too.

Questions:

1) How durable is the new soft top?

2) Does the MOPAR security system work well with the soft topped Wranglers?

3) What kind of real world highway mileage are folks getting?

4) Is it worth it to maybe go with an intake, possibly an exhaust, and a ECU add from a power/mileage perspective? Some combination?

5) Any dealer recommendations for a Jeep dealer who wants business, will give a decent price on trades and the vehicle?

6) Am I barking up the wrong tree considering the state of Chrysler? Think they won't be around much longer?

GNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
shanson14
2008 JK Wrangler 

buy one...i know a great dealership close to where i live...they gave me a hell of a deal on my trade ins and my new rubicon...i get more like 14mpg which sucks...but the 09 comes with a little tray thingy in the console and a net thing under the a/c controls...haha... as for your chrysler concern...someone will buy them and pretty much be obligated to honor current deals and what not...i guess i mean they'll have to honor what chrysler promised you...i haven't upgraded anything yet but i'm working on that...so...i cant really help you with the performance questions
shanson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNNR View Post
Own and mostly love a 99TJ. Thinking about paring down from 2 to 1 vehicles, and after test driving a 09 X Unlimited yesterday I think it would be a suitable vehicle in most regards. I really quite liked it honestly. We love the 99 we have, but it's not suitable for us as a daily use car, just a summer cruiser and winter bad weather vehicle... the Unlimited addresses it all seemingly and we are definately wanting to economize and save a cary payment and insurance premium, put the money into savings or what not.

My concerns:

Soft top vs Hard. I'm leaning soft after driving it. It's much quiter than my TJ hard top is and woudl fit our lifestyle, but I worry about durrability (we would be the kind to be putting up and down a bit during summer) and security.

Mileage is a minor issue... we only drive 7K miles a year in mixed driving, give or take a grand or so in miles, but 19mpg is pretty low.

So far my experience at Buhler and World has been less than palatable. From crazy low ball trade offers to Buhler just yesterday not offering EPP or accepting current offers like the owner loyalty money, I dunno.

Chrysler might just go under too.

Questions:

1) How durable is the new soft top?
I don't know will let other answer this one.

Quote:
2) Does the MOPAR security system work well with the soft topped Wranglers?
You have to open a door to set off the alarm, If you unzip the soft top and climb in the stock alarm does not go off. I would upgrade the alarm to something that detect movement.

Quote:
3) What kind of real world highway mileage are folks getting?
It all depends:
Driver-
Gearing-
Tires-

Quote:
4) Is it worth it to maybe go with an intake, possibly an exhaust, and a ECU add from a power/mileage perspective? Some combination?
I'm willing to be that the only thing that the aftermarket add ons do is reduce your bank account. It's a brick be happy for the MPG they are getting

Quote:
5) Any dealer recommendations for a Jeep dealer who wants business, will give a decent price on trades and the vehicle?
Just go to the different dealerships in your area, find one that works for you.

Have you gone to KBB.com to see what the trade in value for your jeep is??

It's a Jeep, sale it your self

Quote:
6) Am I barking up the wrong tree considering the state of Chrysler? Think they won't be around much longer?
Chrysler who knows, Jeep on the other hand will get bought by some one. It's not like Chrysler invented the Jeep line.

Even if no buys Jeep and they are stopped being made. Name one other auto that has more aftermarket support then Jeep.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Follow up to your add aftermarket intake, Chip, and exhaust

Lets say you spend 1000.00 on these upgrades, and some how they increase your gas mileage from 15mpg to 17mpg (note that's about a 12% increase in MPG) at 2.00 a gal for fuel,

15mpg @2.00 = 13cent a mile
17mpg @2.00 = 12Cent a mile

It will take 100,000 mile to make up that 1000.00 you spend in upgrades.

Now if gas increases to 4.00 a gal
15mpg @2.00 = 27cent a mile
17mpg @2.00 = 24Cent a mile

Now it will take 33,333 mile to make up the 1000.00 you spend on upgrades.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Unread 02-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As far as tops, get the dual-top package. Soft-top for summer use, hardtop otherwise.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 04:51 AM   #6
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the answers and opinions so far, very much appreciated.

Dual tops may price me out from where I want to be. And having a hard top now, I'm 'meh' about it anyway... it's a paint to store, heavy and awkward to remove or put on, and it's not particularly better than the soft top on the new Unlimited from what I could see or hear.

By alarm, I mean something like http://www.quadratec.com/products/15001_10.htm

Good point about the upgrades... from a 'fun' perspective, do they add noticeable power? I've added CAI's, pulleys, exhausts, and other after market 'bolt ons' to vehicles in the past... some where, some wern't.

The Unlimited will either be a Saraha or X, auto, stock tires/rims and similar equipment/weight. Far as I can tell, the only diff seems to be 17 Vs 18 inch rims and tires, color matched fenders, stock speaker system, seat material.

Last edited by GNNR; 02-16-2009 at 05:01 AM..
Unread 02-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you have a secure place to park your jeep at home, and at work a soft top is the way to go.

I would not park a soft top jeep in an apartment complex or on the street.

I need a hard top because I spend 300+ days a year in Hotels and I will be driving all over the country.

As for the alarm upgrade there, I wish they provide more detail information as to what it did. Does it include motion detectors?

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, park in my own drive near a grade school and a block from the cop shop, work parking (for the bus, ride into city) is in a very public strip mall near lots of folks coming and going. The hard top on our TJ is nice, but it's kind of 'boomy' when on and not noticeably quiter than the soft... and the soft top on the new JK as well as the extra sound proofing they put in yeilded a darned quiet ride during my test (for a jeep, heh).

I find the hard top to be a hassle too... I dont' want it in my garage so it has to sit in a side yard covered with a tarp and I can't stand that (seems trashy and isn't great for the top either). We run with no top in the summer since it's a 2nd vehicle for fun, just throw a besttop cab cover over it; that won't fly for an every day vehicle though.
Unread 02-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Heavymetal2000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How much more do you need to spend to get both tops? I imagine its cheaper then buying a hardtop alone so maybe getting both and selling the hardtop could make u a little cash.
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Another 600 something roughly.
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
Heavymetal2000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like Quadratec sells them for $1999.99. I bet someone on the forum would take a new hardtop for $600, maybe you could set it up before you buy.
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Naw... too late. Got me an X Unlimited for $6K off and got fair trade on my Lancer. Shame I had to drive 40 minutes away from home to get it when there are 3 dealers much closer, but 2 of them suck and one doesn't answer emails. Too dark for pics.

Damn thing drives nice. Power fizzles at 70 or so, but's really not bad at all (if you don't mind it sucking your tank dry, heh)... much, MUCH better than my TJ. Quieter too. Stereo needs an upgrade though, yikes... good mid and decent high, okay imaging (much better than my TJ with it's MOPAR sound bar and stock position fronts) but the bass... dear lord it's awful. Very quiet at any speed, and the handling on surface streets is really good, don't know what those reviewers are smoking... it's not a sports car, but nice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.