JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   Shipping a Jeep (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/shipping-jeep-2362321/)

455TorqUnlim 04-27-2014 12:23 AM

Shipping a Jeep

My first post! I'm about to embark on Jeepdom and am in the process of locating a reliable shipping company. Does anyone have first-hand experience and a recommendation? I have looked online and frankly can't tell if they are any good or not and would rather rely on word-of-mouth.

Also, considered shipping enclosed, mainly due to soft-top (theft in-route, weather, and just plain wind beating).

WDNewman 04-27-2014 06:29 AM

There are lots and lots of shipping companies out there. Ask around at dealerships about who is the best. You can also do an online search for top rated auto shipping companies.

455TorqUnlim 04-27-2014 08:09 AM

Thanks WDN. As I said, I found a ton of sites and companies. Figured I'd ask here if anyone had direct experience. Good suggestion on dealers.

455TorqUnlim 04-28-2014 09:01 PM

Ok, this is for future reference for anyone else considering this. I sent my info to one website and got 7 quotes for shipping. Some had better reviews than others on transportreviews dot com, but all had some bad reviews (price baiting, switch & bait, no pick up). All 7 were brokers who arrange shipping, and not the carrier themselves.

I also got 2 other bids on my own with a couple of carriers directly. Both were more expensive, but there were ZERO negative reviews! I actually used one of the two them to transport a street-strip car back around 2004 and they are still in business, but they do enclosed only (Intercity Lines). I am going with the other carrier due to price (open trailer), but it is still about 25% higher than brokered services (Golden Key Express).

I just don't need any hassle, as doing a long-distance purchase is nerve wracking enough, it's not worth it to save a couple hundred bucks (if something goes wrong, I'm out way more than that!).

WDNewman 04-29-2014 07:09 AM

Good decision on going direct with the carrier! Good luck with the vehicle.

gottav8 04-29-2014 04:42 PM

I have a friend who used USHIP and had no problems [ from TX. - CT. ]

AngryRedBird 05-08-2014 05:48 AM

It's unclear if you're actually "shipping" the whole jeep over seas, in a sealed crate etc.. In that case.. there would be allot of paper work and maybe even some red tape.. thing have gotten tighter since 911.. and the cost has skyrocketed.. at last check.. I was thinking of shipping our jeep to AU just to see if this could be done and how much it would cost.. but after hearing just the first suggested cost of 30K not including any other fees or taxes etc which I didn't wait around to find out.

455TorqUnlim 05-08-2014 10:11 PM

Actually, shipping may not be the operative word...I am having it "trucked" to me.

2jhanna 05-08-2014 10:19 PM

From where to where?

Sounds like a good excuse for a "Road Trip!"

455TorqUnlim 05-09-2014 01:47 PM

From So.Cal. to Indiana. Not enough time and too much on my plate for a road-trip. That's one of the reasons I bought a built Jeep instead of building (this body is gettin' older and my patience ain't what it used to be).

AngryRedBird 05-09-2014 01:59 PM

Same Here.. @455TorqUnlim

The time now is 04:08 PM.