Selling Advice / Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Selling Advice / Help

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Selling Advice / Help

Does anyone know a good site to be able to determine the value of a 1979 CJ-7? I have checked many sites with CJ's for sale, and the values range from very cheap to very expensive.

I am asking $13,500 for mine - which seems reasonable with the amount of restoration that I have done thus far and the condition of the Jeep. It is less than what I have in it at this point, but any less and I would rather keep it because it is running very well now!

Any opinions or insight?

mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

NADA has a classic guide

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Thanks so much for your help. I think that the information that it gave says that my price is a reasonably fair starting point.
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Adam013085

$13,500 seems high for any CJ unless its completely frame off resto with nothing needed for it. Sorry to say buy you probably won't even come close to recouping your costs on it.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
mhh
1979 CJ7 

It could be high - that is what is difficult to determine. Mechanically, it has been thoroughly restored.

There are a few accessories, but still close to stock - Front & Rear XHD bumpers, winch, 4" body lift, 33" tires.

I never expected to get everything that I put into it, but I would venture to say that it would be hard to do what I've done for less than my asking price.

If I can't get close to recouping costs, no worries - I've got something that I can drive!
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

79 cj7 in mint shape is worth about $3500 on a good day. most vehicle will only sell for what the bank will loan.you will never get 13k, I really doubt you will get 7k. you will never get what you have in it
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
mhh
1979 CJ7 

That may be true, but I would think that most people pay cash for a vehicle like a CJ-7.

The bumpers, tire carrier, winch, and spare tire alone are worth more than $3,500.

Maybe I need to start heading your direction to find CJ's that are in good condition if I can pick them up for that price!
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Adam013085

I think $3500 is pretty low if it is restored as much as you say, however 13,500 is an unrealistic number as well. Put it for sale and if you can find someone to buy it for that price great! Otherwise you can still enjoy it while it is for sale. Its not hurting you anymore now other than insurance and registration. If you could find someone to give you 7-10k you should probably consider it if you are really wanting to unload the CJ.
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Adam, thanks for the input. I have adjusted the pricing from the first one. I floated it around some with people at the local Jeep club, etc. They said that they would expect it to sell in the $10,000 range.

Correct, insurance is something like $100 for 6 months... I think a tag is around $100 per year. In other words, not costing me much at all.

That's exactly what I plan to do if I don't find a reasonable offer - use it for what I bought it for.

The only "issue" I have now is that when I'm towing it, my odometer increases
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Adam013085

simple fix. Get a trailer
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Right... that worked really well when I lived where I had more acreage. I thought about it, but they take up too much room.

It's really easy to hook it up, plug it in the receiver on the truck, and go!
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Adam013085

Its probably easier on you, but a trailer will be a lot easier on the jeep plus less added mileage to it as you have said. If I flat towed any vehicle very often Id have a trailer. Do you have any pics of this CJ? Post em up!
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Here are some pictures - obviously with the top off. What other way is there (except during hunting season)?
img_1284.jpg   img_1296.jpg   img_1293.jpg  
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
mhh
1979 CJ7 

If you're wondering... the wiring / plug is in that toolbox on the front bumper

Hindsight, an ammo can would probably be lower profile & look better, but this one works just fine!
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
Adam013085

Ah, nice jeep but not to burst your bubble thats not a 13k jeep. Its not a $10k jeep either. Im just being honest. If you can get 6-8k out of it you should be happy. Otherwise keep it and enjoy it. The ammo box and diamond is not going to help with the sale for your price either IMO. Not trying to piss you off or start an argument, but just trying to set a realistic price on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.