Security of a Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Security of a Jeep?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
living_rain

Security of a Jeep?

This will be my first vehicle that i plan on buying next year, and ive gotten all hyped on a yj. But one thing that concerns me is the fact that its an older vehicle (obviously) and thus is super easy to hotwire and steal? Im in a trade and at first figured id buy a lockbox to attached in so that my tools wouldny be stolen but then my brother pointed out that they could just take the whole vehicle with everything in it. Is this true, and theres nothing to prevent that? Should i forget about a yj if its gonna be used for my work?

living_rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
TCrow2

Install a hidden kill switch. Don't show or tell anyone.
TCrow2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
living_rain

being a complete car noob, what does a kill switch do? and how does it work?
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
xlTravislx

1994 YJ Wrangler 

its all about the aera you live in. I can leave my yj 100% open with latterly hundreds of dollars worth of stuff anyone can simply grab and take (hi-jack, doors, radar dector, fire extinguisher, tow straps, misc tools, ect..)

In 4 years ive never had not one bit of theft trouble.

HOWEVER!! I do have a lock box, a red flashing light (that resembles a security system) when im away from my jeep at night. Most important I have a small device called "tile" that is basically like a tracking device. If anyone were to ever steal my jeep I could find where it is on any computer just like an iphone.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Its not just a Yj thing. Jeeps have never been "secure". Unless we are talking how they feel off road.

Trouble with older ignitions is even if you say have a switch to kill it. All you need is a hot wire to the coil and then short the starter to ground. The main wire to Cut then is the battery to the starter. since that one is the hardest to make"hot".

I have a 71 z28 that has alot of money in it. when i worry about if it may be there. I remove the ignition module that is not stock. No module no run.
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think I would recommend a YJ as a first vehicle. First of all, the newest of them is around 20 years old. If prior owners have not taken care of them or modified them extensively, then they are just scrap. The best of them require that the owner understand what he (or she) is doing, because you will be doing a lot of work on them. If you can't do the work yourself, then you will have to pay someone else to do it and that can get very expensive. If you must have a Wrangler type Jeep, I would suggest you look at the mid-model years TJ.
The prior poster is correct in stating that Jeeps have never been secure. No convertible of any make is secure. If you can't live with that fact, or if you live in a high crime area, I would suggest you look in other directions.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
living_rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman
I don't think I would recommend a YJ as a first vehicle. First of all, the newest of them is around 20 years old. If prior owners have not taken care of them or modified them extensively, then they are just scrap. The best of them require that the owner understand what he (or she) is doing, because you will be doing a lot of work on them. If you can't do the work yourself, then you will have to pay someone else to do it and that can get very expensive. If you must have a Wrangler type Jeep, I would suggest you look at the mid-model years TJ. The prior poster is correct in stating that Jeeps have never been secure. No convertible of any make is secure. If you can't live with that fact, or if you live in a high crime area, I would suggest you look in other directions.
i have a few friends who said they would help me out with my initial buying/start up with a jeep. the way i see it, if i buy a 'regular' car, id be buying an older one anyways and thus the hot wiring issue wouldnt really go away, plus theres still thr repair issues.

i fewl perfectly safe installing a lockbox inside. And if a kill switch will keep it from taking off... then id be comfortable.

how hard is it to learn mechanics off of forums and ytube? :P
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The Cherokee and other steel enclosed jeeps are decidedly cheaper to purchase than a Wrangler. Wranglers, especially ones that are in good shape, are in high demand and therefore cost more, sometimes much more. Getting a Cherokee or any Jeep model of that type will also keep your valuables much safer.
I was also in the trades when I was younger, and don't remember anyone who worked with me using a CJ, YJ or TJ jeep. Not enough room for tools, and not enough room to haul supplies. Good for hunting season and weekends, but not so good for work. And this was before everybody had the right to steal anything of yours that they wanted.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
living_rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman
The Cherokee and other steel enclosed jeeps are decidedly cheaper to purchase than a Wrangler. Wranglers, especially ones that are in good shape, are in high demand and therefore cost more, sometimes much more. Getting a Cherokee or any Jeep model of that type will also keep your valuables much safer. I was also in the trades when I was younger, and don't remember anyone who worked with me using a CJ, YJ or TJ jeep. Not enough room for tools, and not enough room to haul supplies. Good for hunting season and weekends, but not so good for work. And this was before everybody had the right to steal anything of yours that they wanted.
it was actually my boss who is a jeep guy and suggested i get one. and there is one glazier who comes to work with his yj sometimes. im in steel stud framing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.