Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Rubicon

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
luc7g

Rubicon

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out some stuff about the Rubicon 03-06. I have a great little yj but time to upgrade. I'm looking at the Rubicon due to its lockers. What I don't know is all years have selectable rear AND front lockers or if some are just rear.

luc7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Hungus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rubicons have front and rear lockers and a Torsen type clutchless limited slip in the back. If you're thinking manual transmissions, only the '05 and '06 have the MB 6 speed.
Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
luc7g

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Anything you know about them that I should watch out for when doing the pre purchase?
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Adam013085

Rust, but you probably already know that coming from the YJ world.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
luc7g

I've been pretty lucky with the rust situation so far (BC vehicle) and tho my yj has been great, I'm torn. I would really like her to be as capable as the Rubicon but for my to get here there it would be ridiculous $. I have been looking for places that sell completely redone jeeps (brand new lift/drive train, etc) - preferably Rubicon. Problem is that I really don't want anything after 06 yet everywhere I've gone won't finance anything that old, regardless of mileage. 500 a month is doable but having 25k handy isn't....
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
Adam013085

Then you have to ask yourself a question... Do you really want a 25-30k Jeep on the trails getting torn up. If it were me I would build the YJ unless you have problems.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
Then you have to ask yourself a question... Do you really want a 25-30k Jeep on the trails getting torn up. If it were me I would build the YJ unless you have problems.
Obviously I'm a little biased b/c I own a TJ, but my dad has a YJ...

I'd say, depending on your needs a Rubicon is a very nice option.

If it were me, I'd go for a 03-04 with the 5 speed & not having to mess with the OPDA issues (although, that doesn't seem that bad to deal with).

The 6speed has a great 1st gear & isn't bad though.

...but I'd still personally go for an 03/04.

A stock Rubicon on 31s/32s & some well done armor & tt can be a very capable jeep.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
luc7g

You're right about that whole thought. Most of where I go is on the island and most of that is fairly tame. It does get scratched and I'll smoke the odd thing with the skid plates but what I'm really after is the lockers. And a bit of a lift. My only thinking was that if I drop $ into a newer vehicle, it would last longer (being my daily driver as well) and if I bought newer, it would take me everywhere I need to go for camping /fishing /hunting. And still be good to dump daily miles on.
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc7g View Post
You're right about that whole thought. Most of where I go is on the island and most of that is fairly tame. It does get scratched and I'll smoke the odd thing with the skid plates but what I'm really after is the lockers. And a bit of a lift. My only thinking was that if I drop $ into a newer vehicle, it would last longer (being my daily driver as well) and if I bought newer, it would take me everywhere I need to go for camping /fishing /hunting. And still be good to dump daily miles on.
This is why I would've loved to have gotten a Rubicon, if I could've afforded it.

In my mind a Rubicon with good skids, maybe a 1-2" lift & a 1" BL (to tuck everything up), & 31s, would be a very, very nice dd & considering the lockers & 4:1

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.