Researching buying a tj or jk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Researching buying a tj or jk

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 11-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
lanesliberty

Researching buying a tj or jk

I am looking into buying a tj or jk for a daily driver. I Like the look of the wranglers and want the 4wheel drive capability.

With that being said what are your opinions on this. I have a four year old boy who will be riding with me. I mainly drive back and forth to work and rub a few errands around town. I do occasionally go down dirt roads but no much since I don't have 4x4. I can drive a stick and considering auto or manual. Any suggestions on particular year.

lanesliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

JK is what you need. It is more of a comfy, city vehicle.
Skold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
lanesliberty

Thanks any suggestion has to options and mods. I am thinking I don't want stock wheels and tires and I've never driven a stick as a daily driver.
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to mod it just for looks or to perform better off-road?
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
lanesliberty

Mostly for the looks. I would like the ability to get in some mud holes occasionally. And I'm not above getting the winch out to pull me from a hole if need be.
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesliberty
Mostly for the looks. I would like the ability to get in some mud holes occasionally. And I'm not above getting the winch out to pull me from a hole if need be.
Once you get your jeep you can consider what upgrades you want. On a jk you can fit significantly larger tires than stock without lifting it. A set of 32-33 inch all terrains and some aftermarket wheels will give the jeep a nice aggressive look different from stock and also get it a little higher off the ground for off road.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

I drove a 2005 TJ every day for five and a half years (Oct. 16, 2006, until I sold it last summer). It was such an awesome vehicle that I remember the exact date I bought it and have chosen to forget the day I got rid of it.

I just bought an '07 JKU Sahara this weekend. It looks and rides great. The extra room the four-door model provides was one of the main reasons I went with a JK instead of another TJ when I bought another Jeep.

My thoughts: Either vehicle is going to make an awesome platform to build, and both are going to be very capable even if they're bone stock. The JK does ride quite a bit better than the TJ, even with its 3.5 inch lift and 35-inch mud terrain tires. However, some JK owners would have you believe a TJ has the road manners of a farm tractor. That's not the case at all.

Do plenty of research before you jump into something. If you think you're going to keep the Jeep for a while and end up modifying it (as everyone on this forum, including me, seems to do), you're going to want the right platform. What trim is right for you? SE? Sport? X? Sahara? Rubicon? No one on the forum can tell you exactly which one will fit what you think your needs are going to be, but look into the differences in each and decide what's right for you. You'll see differences in the axles, gear ratio, etc., which may or may not be important to you and which you may not have known were even factors when considering what to buy. I know I didn't have a clue when I bought my TJ.

Another option, if you decide you prefer the TJ experience but want a little more room for you and your boy, is an Unlimited TJ (which you'll see referred to as an LJ around here).

Hope this helps.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
lanesliberty

Mwmoon this is exactly why I asked the question. I don't want to jump into something like I did with my truck I've had for years cause I had to keep it. I think something newer than 2000 is what I'm looking for. A tj is more in the price range I'm looking at.
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmoon
The JK does ride quite a bit better than the TJ, even with its 3.5 inch lift and 35-inch mud terrain tires. However, some JK owners would have you believe a TJ has the road manners of a farm tractor. That's not the case at all. Hope this helps.
LOL...I've used that exact expression when explaining the difference between my 1994 YJ Sahara vs my 2005 TJ, in the YJs defense it had 186k happily driven miles when I sold it and I still see it occasionally.

I can chime in a bit as I'm considering swapping to a JK. You have to decide what is going to be the most important when it comes to your Jeep. My commute doubled and I could use some comforts (suspension, steering, etc.) changes that would simply add up to too much if I tried to bring the TJ up to where I need it. Also since I'm racking up the mileage I could use so meshing with lower miles (although you can probably find a TJ with less than 60k). I've added some mods over the years but now servicing typically requires pb blaster and a busted knuckle which is one of the reasons the YJ was sold. Since you'll be modding from scratch, think about the mods you'll want and how much effort you want to put in, it'll be easier to add lift, bigger tires, etc to a newer vehicle with less worn OEM parts. On the note of mods, request catalogs from quadratec and 4wd and flip through them, see the differences in available parts and costs, that may help you decide too. As far as cost, for what certain TJ years are going for at dealer lots you can easily get a private party JK. *2 cents*
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
lanesliberty

Gily25 I really want the ground clearance the ability to take the top off on sunny days and four wheel drive. A lot of streets flood where I live and I have to find an alternate root. I got my first truck simply cause it was a truck and I could afford it. Big mistake. It was defiantly not right for me. I'm looking at probably a 05 tj unlimited have to look into packages like sport or rubicon. I would like to be able to put on bolt on kits as I don't usually have the equipment for heavy mods. Guys thanks for the advice. I'm really trying to do my homework and not get something I will have to sink a lot of money into like a friend did with his 78 CJ. He bought it cause it was 1000 and had a big motor in it. Now he's selling it go figure.
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing wrong with a 05 TJ. Look for one rust free everywhere and completely stock; no mods at all. Do your own mods and don't buy somebody else's idea as what a jeep should look and drive like. Always choose functionality and reliability over looks. Always.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
lanesliberty

WDNewman I live in central ms so I sure rust won't be an issue but yeah I am definitely gonna look for as close to stock as possible.
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesliberty View Post
WDNewman I live in central ms so I sure rust won't be an issue but yeah I am definitely gonna look for as close to stock as possible.
As close to stock as possible is just the ticket.

I live in central ms also, and my jeep was sold new in Atlanta and has stayed in the south ever since, so there was no rust anywhere. But we gotta remember that there are dudes who buy yankee rust on ebay or craigslist and bring em down here to sell them during deer season. Thats why you always check the rust situation. Just a couple of winters in Connecticut will pretty much wipe a jeep out.

Good luck and keep us posted.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

JK all the way. I made the switch almost 3 years ago and don't miss my old TJ at all. Get the power options for sure (I know most people say it's for sissies but hey, call me a sissy then, I don't care).

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
lanesliberty

Well power everything will be kinda an issue considering I want half doors so can take off during spring and fall when when weather is nice enough.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.