Recommend a 4x4 vehicle for me - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Recommend a 4x4 vehicle for me

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
evansmith
2002 WJ 

Recommend a 4x4 vehicle for me

I find myself relocating to Southern Oregon for a new job. I currently have a 4x2 Jeep GC Laredo 2002. I have 176,000 mi on the vehicle and have never had any serious problems with it. It has been great.

I understand that there can be some significant snow in the area I am moving to and I don't want to be limited in where I can go. I love to hunt, fish, hike, and camp. I understand that there are lots of forest roads on public land and might want to give offroading a try, but nothing crazy.

Basically I am thinking I want a 4x4 SUV/GC or Truck. I was wondering if you pros here could recommend certain model years for me to look at or avoid. I don't want a wrangler because on road comfort and fuel economy are important to me.

Thanks in advance!

evansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well you're not going to get that great of gas mileage with a Cherokee.. I think it's kind of a comfort:economy ratio you're going to have to weigh out for yourself when deciding. Some of the older XJ Cherokee's got a 2.5L 4cyl, however most find it gutless and I couldn't see it getting too much more gas mileage pulling around all that weight of the Cherokee.
indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
evansmith
2002 WJ 

Just to clarify I'm looking to replace my current Jeep with one of the same year or newer. Or maybe another SUV or truck. But I want a 4 door and have had a good experience with Jeeps.
evansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's a rare option but you can find a jeep liberty with a diesel engine. Would last you forever and get great gas mileage. It'll have a little more room than a wrangler. However you'll have a little bit more maintenance (fuel filters every 2-3 oil changes).

Even maybe just a liberty in general might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by indeepwithajeep; 11-22-2013 at 04:04 PM..
indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Or, on the SUV side, a new Honda CR-V 4 WD if you want 4WD, four doors, comfort, fuel economy, low maintenance, reliability and resale value.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.