Quick 2011 WK2 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Quick 2011 WK2 question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
ableeda

Quick 2011 WK2 question

Hi,

I've been doing a fair amount of research on 4wd WK2s. I like the grand cherokee's ground clearance, and reviews about its off road capabilities. I'm looking at 2011 and 2012, though I assume I'll find a cheaper 2011 so I'll probably end up going that way.

It looks like I'll be going to an auto auction with my step dad during a vacation to Michigan around this Thanksgiving. I want to verify what these sellers may claim.

How can I quickly verify that a Wk2 has 4x4? I'm fine with quadra-trac I. Are there identifying marks on the vehicle that I can look on? Is there a good service I can use to lookup specific info using the VIN?

If it helps, we're going to Manheim auction in Carleton, MI.

ableeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look under the vehicle. If the front axle has a differential on it the it is 4WD. If you don't know what a differential is, you need to do some more research before you buy anything. The vehicle history checker if called CarFax and cost around $30 per inquiry.

You are going into the heart of the rust belt to buy a car. Rust is the enemy. Make SURE that the underside of the vehicle is not rusted out.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
ableeda

Thanks! That's useful info for sure. Any places of particular interest to look for rust once I'm under there?
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Frame attachment points; all bolts and nuts, floor pan for sure. Do a search on this forum in the Cherokee section on "rust problem areas". While you are there do a search on "WK2 problem areas".

Mainly remember:

The world is full of these things. Don't settle. You are looking for a fairly new unit, so you won't have as much to look for as much as us old guys have to when we buy 25 year old YJ's.
Rust prevention on the newer jeeps is much better than it was even 10 years ago, so it should not be an area of major concern for you. Still, be sure.
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
ableeda

Thank you, that's exactly where I'm coming from. Doing online comparison shopping is great, I just want to verify the claims sales people make.

I got a copy of a certified used car inspection report for a 2011 laredo x with 75k miles on it, the only red flag I saw was "DRIVESHAFT DAMPER CRACKED DECLINED MAINTENANCE". That seems like a part I can order and have someone put on for a modest fee, not necessarily a deal breaker. I would of course have that same mechanic take an overall look at the car. It's a one owner car who had a lease with a dealership in Lagrange, IN and who brought it in for regular maintenance. The VIN confirms it's a 4x4. No mention of rust in the report.
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ableeda View Post
Thank you, that's exactly where I'm coming from. Doing online comparison shopping is great, I just want to verify the claims sales people make.

I got a copy of a certified used car inspection report for a 2011 laredo x with 75k miles on it, the only red flag I saw was "DRIVESHAFT DAMPER CRACKED DECLINED MAINTENANCE". That seems like a part I can order and have someone put on for a modest fee, not necessarily a deal breaker. I would of course have that same mechanic take an overall look at the car. It's a one owner car who had a lease with a dealership in Lagrange, IN and who brought it in for regular maintenance. The VIN confirms it's a 4x4. No mention of rust in the report.

OK. Heres the chance for you to do a little research. Search the forum for "2011 Larado cracked driveshaft damper". At that point you should be able not only to find out what that is, but how expensive it would be to replace the part.

Good luck in your search.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.