Questions on a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Questions on a TJ

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
scodym

Questions on a TJ

Hello i'm about to purchase a Jeep Wrangler and I have found one i'm in love with. I would like for anyone and everyone to criticize the smallest things. I would also like for you to post what you would pay for it.

2002 Jeep wrangler X

110k miles
5-speed
6" long arm lift
2" coil spacers
New BFG KM2 35s
Slip yoke eliminator
Tom woods rear drive shaft
1-ton steering
Rebuilt D44 rear locked with 4.56 gears
Rebuilt D30 open with 4.56 gears
Rebuilt rear slip joint
Front Quick disconnects
Rrc front bumper with d-rings
Warn rear bumper

Some of the main concerns I have is
1) Is having a locked rear diff going to turn into a disaster being a daily driver?
2) Is the drive shafts and SYE enough for the 6" of lift?

Thanks

scodym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

8" of suspension lift is excessive. 2" spacers would need removed. 4.56 gears are not appropriate for 35s and that engine/ tranny combo. One ton steering sounds scary. Get more details about the steering and post pics.

What type and brand of lockers? Honestly, I would never consider a rig setup this way to be a daily driver. It sounds more like a toy that should only be driven occasionally.

$8k sounds about right for this rig. I bought an 06 sport in excellent condition last year with long arms, 35s, lockers, 4.88s, winch, and 40k fewer miles last year for $10k. What is the asking price?
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
scodym

Okay so removing the spacers would probably be first priority.
By not appropriate, do you mean they aren't low enough or what? I would like to use it as a daily driver so what would be more suitable?
As far as the steering goes i'm 100% clueless. I know nothing about steering so could you explain whats wrong with one ton steering and should that be replaced aswell?
I asked about the lockers, still waiting on a response

He's asking 11k but I believe the Jeep market is a little higher in the south. for 8k you could only get a stock jeep.
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
scodym

Unread 04-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
scodym

Unread 04-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodym View Post
By not appropriate, do you mean they aren't low enough or what? I would like to use it as a daily driver so what would be more suitable?
As far as the steering goes i'm 100% clueless. I know nothing about steering so could you explain whats wrong with one ton steering and should that be replaced aswell?

He's asking 11k but I believe the Jeep market is a little higher in the south. for 8k you could only get a stock jeep.
8" of lift is insanely tall for a TJ. Removing the spacers is a great idea. Some types of after market steering systems are junk so would find out the brand name. I suggest posting pics of the steering in the TJ tech section so the guys can provide their opinions on the set up.

33s and a 4" lift would be better as a daily driver. If you are just driving short distances on city streets then 6" and 35s would be livable. I wouldn't want to commute daily on the highway in that rig.

Find out if the seller installed chromoly axle shafts in the front axle. If you plan to wheel the rig then after market shafts are necessary with a locked D30.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
scodym

I live on a military base, there will not be any highway miles what so ever.

The lockers are spartan lockers
and the front(D30) is open, the rear (D44) is locked

I'll ask about the shafts
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodym View Post

This thing could be absolutely dangerous. As a daily driver, forget it. And, by the way, you should WANT to buy a completely stock unit. When you don't know WHO did the lift, HOW qualified they were to do it, WHAT materials they used, and WHAT things they did incorrectly, the you DON'T buy it. I would not even consider this unit.
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
4.56 gears are not appropriate for 35s and that engine/ tranny combo.
I disagree. It works great for my 4.0/NV3550 combo (pretty sure its the same in an 02-correct me if not).

I agree w/ getting rid of the spacers, but I daily drive on 35's and a 4". You are pretty much locked in to the 6" long arm. It will be fine.
purplepig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
GS430
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I assume you are drawn to it because of the looks? It will be a miserable daily driver! I can't imagine how it drives on the highway.
GS430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
TJCrawling

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the removal of the 2" spacers and be very cautious of the steering, as soon as I tried moving away from the original style Y design I couldn't hardly keep in my own lane. Went to the Currie Correct Lync set up and cured my issues but don't know if that would work on something lifted higher than 4 inches.
TJCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.