Questions from a Jeep Newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Questions from a Jeep Newbie

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Bradfield

Questions from a Jeep Newbie

I know nothing about CJ7's and I am looking to buy a cj7 around 3000 to 4000. I have been looking around san antonio and houston craigslist. I was just hoping you guys could tell me what to look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rust, it's been 15 years since I owned my 79. I paid 3k or a little more. I later determined that the tub was beyond repair do to rust. The PO hid a lot of it with under coating, and I blame myself for not taking a mechanic along when I looked at it. I had to let it go because repairing it was way beyond my capabilities at the time.
Not sure if rust is an issue in that area, but it is up here.
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Bradfield

thank you. besided rust are there any other major things i should looking when purchasing a cj?
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's been years since I owned mine. We really need some current CJ owners to chime in here. Wish I could tell you more, but I really had no clue about Jeeps when I owned my CJ. I practically gave it away because I didn't know it had value, or valuable parts at least...
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

When you check it out, drive it. Get it up to 60 and see what happens.For $4000 it should not feel like a death trap. Check for rust under the roll bar mounts and under the seats. The less mods the better usually. Also for that much it should have a soft or hard top in decent condition. Good luck. If you find one, take pics and post.
Unread 04-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Bradfield

thank you for the info, it has helped alot
Unread 05-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradfield View Post
I know nothing about CJ7's and I am looking to buy a cj7 around 3000 to 4000. I have been looking around san antonio and houston craigslist. I was just hoping you guys could tell me what to look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.
In this area you're not likely to find a CJ-7 for $3000 to $4000 that's in great shape. For that price, you're probably looking at a lot of rust and/or a Jeep that's being marketed as a "Deer lease Jeep" which is a warning sign that the thing doesn't have a current state inspection and/or has been really abused and has had little in the way of proper repairs and maintenance.

There's a chance you'll get lucky and find a great CJ-7 for 4 grand, but that's less likely. There's nothing wrong with buying a Jeep in bad or questionable shape, but you have to realize what you're getting into and how much it's going to cost in time and money to bring the Jeep up to the level you desire.
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

Tough call, I have my 86 but honestly I don't drive it a lot. Keep in mind you are looking at a 22 year old truck at least if not older. You are in a better location than I am for rust but here are the things I would consider.

The CJ's were carburated not fuel injected like the current Jeeps. Mine is stock and can be finicky sometimes. I carry spare parts like hoses and belts plus ignition parts. CJ's weren't galvanized and that's why rust is usually one of the first things someone mentions to a prospective buyer.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my CJ-7 and I had a 1977 CJ-5 prior to it but these trucks can be a lot different than what you might be expecting.

At the $3000-$4000 price point you can probably find a high mileage 97 TJ which might require less work. CJ's have aquired some sort of weird collectable status and as a result go for quite a high value at least for ones that don't require a lot of work. That's not to say you won't get lucky and find one, it just might take a bit of work.

This month's issue of JP Magazine has upgrade notes on most Jeeps from the CJ forward so might be a worthwhile investment and give you some ideas.

Kevin
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Here's a nice looking CJ on ebay (although in a different part of the country) that's going for a price that's appropriate for the condition. This one doesn't have a CJ tub so it's not 100% a CJ, but it's a good looking Jeep.
Unread 05-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

Good price on an 86 for up here, I think there is some rust on the fenders where AMC doubled up the metal though. Even with no winters it's really hard to keep these guys from rusting.

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ADS=6974624%7C

Kevin
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
...CJ's have acquired some sort of weird collectible status and as a result go for quite a high value at least for ones that don't require a lot of work...
My interest in CJs is that they represent the best of Jeeps before they all started getting loaded down with plastic and interior embellishments. Yes you can find a Laredo CJ with trim inside the doors and tailored factory carpet, but not all CJs were like that. Granted, the models after the CJ added improvements such as fuel infection,better suspension, and a better roll bar, but there's plain, unembellished quality to most CJs that I like. I'd describe it as man, metal, road and little else.
Unread 05-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
... unembellished quality to most CJs that I like. I'd describe it as man, metal, road and little else....
Sounds like the Nightster I ride.....

I hear you though, today's Jeeps are a long way away from the CJ's even the Laredo I own compared to a TJ is pretty spartan although now that I've hit the half century milestone softer seats with better back support and less wrenching is starting to suit me.

The 77 I owned might suit you then. AMC 304, 3 spd, drum brakes all round, but did have power steering. Kept you alert which doesn't hurt when you ride a bike.

Granted I'm not quite ready for a Grand Cherokee Overland but with the cost of gas killing the big SUV market it's starting to get tempting. Granted can you afford to drive it these days.

But like you said, in the price range the OP is looking at I also think it's going to be really tough to find a CJ that isn't going to wind up costing a lot more to get up to snuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.