Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

questions about speed

702 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RogueSpear2023 
#1 ·
I have been searching trying to find out some things so I wouldnt have to ask a questions thats been asked 1000 times before, sorry for any repeats.

I am looking to buy a wrangler, at first I didnt really care about the year but after reading the forums on here I am concerned about speed. I sometimes go on 800+ plus highway drives.

My eyes are burning from the countless hours of craigslist and autotrader.com if there really that much speed differeance between a 6cyl or a 4cyl engine, if I go with a auto verse a stick will that help with speed?
is a 97+ that much more comfortable than a 88 - 95? I would like a 6cyl automatic, I am just worried I will be puting down the highway doing 60.... I had a 4dr 07 and I could easly get up to 85mph or so.

Is there better places than others to look for good deals, I am not opposed to flying out and driving it back home. I am looking to spend about $5500. I would also like full doors and a hard top if anyone has anything there selling.

Thanks
Kimberly

See less See more
#4 ·
Pre 1996..Forget it. I have about as perfect as a 95 as their is on the planet and at 65 mph you are pushing it. Mine 6 cyl standard..... I can not speak for newer ones as the ride is better..I prefer the yj's as I think its more of a jeep than cushy ones. For power and ride, I wont take mine on a 200 mile trip as the fun will be gone after the 1st 50 miles. Others will chime in, especially max. He knows everything LOL

#6 ·
My 6cyl TJ with an automatic can easily get to 85mph, if I need it too, I don't drive that fast normally I don't usually go much faster the 70mph because after that it really starts to suck down the gas. I have 4.10 gears and 33s. A 4cyl will be tougher to get up to speed and maintain it. I would get a YJ 6cyl over a TJ 4cyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.