Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Question on buying a jeep

844 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KYhillbilly 
#1 ·
Hello to everyone. My name is Mike and I live in Texas. I am looking for a used Jeep for my son and was wondering if there are any years or models to avoid. I am looking to spend between 12-18K. Thanks for any help!

#4 ·
If you get a Tj there was a few years with a cam gear to distributor failures. I can't recall the years was near the end of the Tj run a few years, ask in the Tj section. The autos in the Tj/Jk that are 42le had issues with over heating was fixed by software, not a real fix and that trans is just not up to the task really. after 2012 the W5auto is beast can handle a hemi and will out do any manual in a jeep ever made, until 2017-18 when they go to a real 6speed truck trans, and the autos go to the 9 speed< that might have a ton of issues.

I would agree with the guys that are saying a Tj. Over all less complicated to repair though still like any jeep never cheap to fix as well. I would be looking at the basics, leaks, rust and how it was used. Though the new Jks have some power now, stay away from 12-13.5 jks known to have valve seats drop like many Fiat/Chrysler products over the years.....though it was warrantied and extended.

Rubi or a base? well thats about $ and needs. the d44 front is better for up to 35s i lost count of the Tjs that i have seen on the trails break a d30 on 35s, its so common they all carry axles all the time...the d35 rear is junk in any tj..... so they all have a few issues, its a Jeep...

#6 ·
Didn't see what you're son would be using it for. My opinion, based on my sons:

I would not put my oldest son in a Wrangler. He's got a lead foot. He's got the eagle eye to match so no accidents, but he likes to drive things that can corner. Nothing to high for him. My youngest son will never need a Jeep. He'll probably end up in a Honda.

Interestingly enough, My youngest daughter (still a couple years before she gets her license. will probably end up in a Jeep. What I'll look for when I go to buy that is:

A TJ, automatic, rust free, 4.0. She won't be lifting it until she can buy her own vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.