Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Purchasing a 2000 Grand Cherokee: Questions

973 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BandGauto 
#1 ·
So I bought my wife a Jeep Patriot a year ago, and not only does she love it, but I do as well. I am quite aware of the ridicule Patriot owners get from the rest of the jeep world, but it is a great ride. I have taken it out on some trails and it does better than any other small SUV could dream of. I went out with a wrangler buddy of mine. He was astonished that he didn't have to tow me out...Anyway, I just blew a head gasket in my old truck, and have limited funds for a new car. I'm not going to fix the truck, it simply isnt worth it. A friend of mine has a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited he is selling for $3000, so I am most likely going to grab it. He always has taken obsessive good care of his cars, so I am not really worried about that..I am slightly worried about the mileage. It is just over 200K. Now everybody tells me that you can't kill those engines, and it is just getting "broken in". I believe them, but I still have a slight reserve about it. Also if I am going to see any other issues come up that is common with a jeep with this high of mileage/ I have looked up the book value, and to my surprise it is actually right above his asking price, so I know it's a decent price. Just needing a little push I guess. Looking for someone to make me feel like this is a great choice for my $3K. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Probably not a bad deal, but he could probably do better IMO, but knowing the history is a good thing, the downside if something major goes wrong if you can accept you bought "as is" fine, but it could mean the end to a friendship if you don't.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Max. What worries me is that he has never had any issues with it, I'm wondering if as soon as i buy it stuff will begin to break. I'm sure he will do better on the price for me, and i know that if he thought it was going to be trouble, he wouldn't sell it to me at all. Buying ised jeeps is a little nerve wracking though. I have heard some horror stories...i guess just like any other used car though

#4 · (Edited)
Ask your buddy for a list of what has been replaced recently. If he has taken obsessive good care of it as you stated then he will have kept all maint records and receipts. It may be true that the engine is just getting broken in at 200k but remember the rest of the drive train also has 200k on it. Not trying to discourage you just saying keep in mind that alot of things can go wrong with a 11+ year old high mileage vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.