Pre-91 4.2L YJs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Pre-91 4.2L YJs?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pre-91 4.2L YJs?

Welp, my buddy has a 4.0L '95 Cherokee, and I've driven it on the street and trail a few times. That engine puts out exactly the amount of power I would like to see in my future YJ -- how does the 4.2L compare? Would I hate myself for buying one with that engine? I understand there is a significant difference in the numbers between the engines (and the vehicles!) -- I just like the fact that if I put it into low gear and really mash on the gas, it feels like my head is going to snap off and land in the back seat, even if I'm climbing up a big nasty hill and swerving around rocks.

Clamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
chevycowboy250x
2000 WJ 

The motor you are talking about will not be fuel injected and will have less power, less mileage and less reliability unless you don't need to worry about smog or you put fuel injection it it. I was in a similar situation and I have decided that it will be much less of a headache to just buy a 91 or newer.
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I figured. What about the 91 and later 4 cylinder? Ultimately I'd like to get the 4.0, but I'm curious as to whether or not the 4 is even worth considering.
Clamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.