Pre-91 4.2L YJs? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2008, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pre-91 4.2L YJs?

Welp, my buddy has a 4.0L '95 Cherokee, and I've driven it on the street and trail a few times. That engine puts out exactly the amount of power I would like to see in my future YJ -- how does the 4.2L compare? Would I hate myself for buying one with that engine? I understand there is a significant difference in the numbers between the engines (and the vehicles!) -- I just like the fact that if I put it into low gear and really mash on the gas, it feels like my head is going to snap off and land in the back seat, even if I'm climbing up a big nasty hill and swerving around rocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
chevycowboy250x
2000 WJ 

The motor you are talking about will not be fuel injected and will have less power, less mileage and less reliability unless you don't need to worry about smog or you put fuel injection it it. I was in a similar situation and I have decided that it will be much less of a headache to just buy a 91 or newer.

Liberalism is a mental disease!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I figured. What about the 91 and later 4 cylinder? Ultimately I'd like to get the 4.0, but I'm curious as to whether or not the 4 is even worth considering.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.