Potentially buying first Jeep, need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Potentially buying first Jeep, need help!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Benwah23
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Potentially buying first Jeep, need help!

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking into buying my first Jeep which is a '99 TJ. It does have a fair amount of rust on the undercarriage(see pictures) and am curious if I am getting myself into trouble by purchasing it. It has 110,000 miles and a pretty severe vibration that seems to be coming from the tranny but only happens when accelerating from a stop. I don't know enough about cars to know if this is the tranny going out or if it's just because it's 13 years old. And I know that none of you can tell me for sure about the tranny without driving it yourself, but I'm open to opinions right now. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Great body for the age

Thanks for looking and helping a newbie out!

Benwah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
mule75
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think it looks like alot of rust, but what do other cars in your area that are 13 years old, with that manymiles look like? that could just be normal for your area. but I think that it looks like a headache if you plan on keeping the rig for a couple years. AND if you plan on wheeling it hard....yeah well i would be somethings would snap.

take it to a mechanic, or maybe a transmission shop, and ask their professional opinion - put it to them this way, "would you purchase this vehicle"

If it was me, I think I would pass....BUT I guess it also depends on how much they wanted for it. This all goes out the window if the thing only costs $500, then everything changes
hope that this was able to help, a little
best of luck
mule75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The price is what matters here. I see lots of rust. That vibration you feel may likely be a driveshaft and/or U-joint issue. I'd be concerned mostly about the steel around the body mounts (looks soft), any holes in the frame/body that I can't see, and the rust in the footwell indicates another problem (water intrusion?).

$5000 I'd pass. $2000 I'd be interested.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$5000 I'd pass. $2000 I'd be interested.
x2
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Benwah23
1999 TJ Wrangler 

He's selling it for $5000, so you guys may have answered the question for me. The previous owner lived in Ohio so I'm assuming that's where most of the rust came from. Jason, like you said, I wasn't too majorly concerned with the overall rust on the bottom, but the rust around the body mounts is a little scary. I took it too a mechanic this morning, he told me the vibration isn't something that should concern me at this point. But he did find a leak coming from the rear main seal. I know the parts to fix that aren't very expensive but I would have to have a mechanic do it so that adds on another 400-600 dollars. Right now it just seems like the costs keep adding up and before I know it, I've paid $7000 for a rusty jeep.
Benwah23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , jeep , leak , rust , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.